Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm just getting ready to swap in a replacement engine on my 04 Corolla and I almost had it out when I realized the engine wouldn't pull off the transmission completely. I'm doing this from inside the bay since I couldn't get the axles off the transmission my self. I'm assuming I need to get the torque converter unbolted from the flywheel and that's why I can't pull it off completely? I'd seriously appreciate any help with this, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You need to unbolt the TC from the flexplate so you can separate the engine from the transmission with minimum space. The TC shaft inserts to the transmission fluid pump so the engine flexplate still attached to the TC will require the engine to move back a lot for the converter to clear the transmission pump.

To me, it's easier to pull the engine and transmission as one piece.
Then separate on the ground

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
There are 5 or 6 small bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel. They can be accessed and removed through the inspection hole on the bottom side of your transmission.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to unbolt the TC from the flexplate so you can separate the engine from the transmission with minimum space. The TC shaft inserts to the transmission fluid pump so the engine flexplate still attached to the TC will require the engine to move back a lot for the converter to clear the transmission pump.

To me, it's easier to pull the engine and transmission as one piece.
Then separate on the ground
Thanks I did end up pulling them both and will be doing that today, thanks for confirming that with me though. I wasn't too sure about it my self

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 5 or 6 small bolts that hold the torque converter to the flywheel. They can be accessed and removed through the inspection hole on the bottom side of your transmission.
Do you happen to know the torque specs on it or how important they are XD ? I was thinking maybe just till they feel snug and maybe a little thread lock too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If its an M8 bolt, torque is about 22 ft-lbs.
Do not use red loctite, use blue loctite thread lock or you'll have a hard time removing it next time.

Reactions: CorollaCharlie

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Do you happen to know the torque specs on it or how important they are XD ? I was thinking maybe just till they feel snug and maybe a little thread lock too.
28 Nm (285 kgf-cm, 20 ft. lbs.

proper torque is always important. Imagine driving along and all 6 bolts come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts