Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have to change the oil in my 98 camry pretty soon and i have a question.

Does that engine restorer stuff really work and all i do is add it to my oil right.

thanks

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
it helps a little. i used it and noticed a minor change in performance. but maybe that was just a psychological thing.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Slick 50 is really good. I have a friend who swears by it.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
slick50 is good stuff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slick 50 is not a good product. Teflon is a solid. SAE did a test with Slick 50 in a one cylinder air cooled engine. They found at high temps Slick 50 cause major scuffing of the piston walls. You are better off going to Mobil One oil.

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Not to mention, about 80% of the PTFE winds up in the filter in about the first 5 minutes. Then your filter is partially clogged.

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
If you really want to give your engine a good cleaning, then I suggest you use SeaFoam available at any Napa store. It's not available at Pep Boys, AutoZone, Shuck's, Kragen, etc. It's only available at Napa. Folks over at the TTORA board swear by it. I have a few bottles sitting in the garage, but just waiting for my next oil change use it.

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
engine restore really does help stop oil burning and is supposed to help bring compression back up on high mileage vehicles. i used to use it on my '80 impala which burned a quart of oil in about 500 miles, after putting a can in, i did not have to add oil for 2000 miles. i use seafoam every other oil change to keep my engine internals clean. it works wonders.

·
1 4/\/\ +3|-| |\|00|3
273 Posts
what exactly is "seafoam"

<edit> Ok i googled-
so let me see if i get this strait- i find the vaccum hose, let in half can, then try and stall it or turn it off. Pour rest in oil/and-or gas tank. let sit. SMOKE!!!. change oil/filter. sound about right?
</edit>

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
if you use engine restore it will bring the compression up and fill in the scratches but you need to do it at every oil change. i swear by this stuff cause i've used it many times and am currently using it in the cam.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Seafoam has worked wonders on my motor. My Camry has been running a lot better since I started using Seafoam. Seafoam is some of the best stuff you can use:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
dlichterman said:
what exactly is "seafoam"

<edit> Ok i googled-
so let me see if i get this strait- i find the vaccum hose, let in half can, then try and stall it or turn it off. Pour rest in oil/and-or gas tank. let sit. SMOKE!!!. change oil/filter. sound about right?
</edit>
That sound about right!!:thumbup:

·
This Space For Rent
14,153 Posts
I would suggest an oil change after running it for a few hundred miles to let the Seafoam work it magic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
People on bobistheoilguy.com use Auto RX, they say it is the best. I have not used it. I just use Mobil 1 and change my oil about every 6 months (7000 miles).

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
dam you change your oil every 6 months, dam i use the change the one on my beater (87 Celica GTS) every 2monts (that is all and filter)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts