Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hybrid
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't driven the car for one day, this morning at startup, the engine runs right off like gasoline car. (battery was at 3 bars)
This is normal - just to charge the battery ?

·
Registered
2020 Corolla Hybrid
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I was tempted for a moment...

Yes, this is normal. ICE will turn on any time computer decides battery needs to be charged.
Thanks, just 2nd week of ever owning a hybrid, and until this day it has always been complete "silent start".
I did some research and it seems it's due to temperature more than battery level. And it has just started to turn chilly,

·
6,631 Posts
You have exactly what every new hybrid owner has - hybrid fever. They are weird in respect to behavior and noises they make.
Anything below 50F changes their behavior.
Best course of action is to simply phase out all "normal" expectations and drive the car. Get used to noises, jerks. Don't become obsessed.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,623 Posts
I’ve noticed that my 18 seems to want to start on gas every time where my 13 doesn’t do that.

As previously mentioned, it takes a while to learn these cars. I’ve had my 13 for about 4 years, I remember at first saying I have no idea what that car was doing.... lol. Learn the car first, then you will learn how to get the most out of your fuel by managing the EV mode... or hyper mileing as they call it. I’m currently averaging 39+ with my ‘13 but you will soon find out that your mileage will change based on the season, especially if you live in a state where they force reformulated fuel in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts