Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, my trusted 96 T100 (321K miles 2WD auto) has recently been developing the symptoms mentioned in the object of the thread.
I knew I had a couple of leaky injectors, therefor I decided to replace all six of them, while everything was dismantled I also put a new valve cover kit. along with a new timing belt (the fourth one).
Now the truck start a lot better but it did nothing to the shaking.... the fuel filter and fuel pump were replaced in 2017 after finding a few gallons of H2O in my gas tank.
The check engine light is back on, any thoughts?
thanks

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,916 Posts
hello, my trusted 96 T100 (321K miles 2WD auto) has recently been developing the symptoms mentioned in the object of the thread.
I knew I had a couple of leaky injectors, therefor I decided to replace all six of them, while everything was dismantled I also put a new valve cover kit. along with a new timing belt (the fourth one).
Now the truck start a lot better but it did nothing to the shaking.... the fuel filter and fuel pump were replaced in 2017 after finding a few gallons of H2O in my gas tank.
The check engine light is back on, any thoughts?
thanks
Did it have the same symptoms prior to the work you just did? What brand injectors? What RPM is it idling at?
Have you scanned it for codes since the CEL is on, what are they?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did it have the same symptoms prior to the work you just did? What brand injectors? What RPM is it idling at?
Have you scanned it for codes since the CEL is on, what are they?
Yes the symptoms were there prior to the work performed, I thought the leaky injectors were the problem, injector part #
23250-62030 UA STOCK not sure what s that mean, bought on ebay. have not had the CEL read yet since it just came back on this morning. will get that done.

·
Registered
1995 T100,
49 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Mine had the exact symptoms and it smoothed out at highway speed. It turned out to be simply a slightly loose #3 spark plug. Scan before you start replacing things as mine showed up as Misfire #3. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just throwing this out there. Mine had the exact symptoms and it smoothed out at highway speed. It turned out to be simply a slightly loose #3 spark plug. Scan before you start replacing things as mine showed up as Misfire #3. Good luck!
I thought about that as well, scheduled to get a reading tomorrow. thanks

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,618 Posts
Is yer Check Engine light flashing when you accelerate? If so, it's misfiring and you don't want to drive it in that condition as you stand a good chance of damaging the engine and/or the catalytic converter. When was the last time you performed a major tune up like plugs, wires, PCV valve, MAF cleaning, throttle/IAC valve cleaning? ;)

One of the best things you can do is to git yer own OBDII scanner. You don't need a super fancy one to do most of the major things. I picked up a BAFX Products bluetooth version off of Amazon fer about $25 shipped. Paired with the $5 OBD Fusion app, it performs quite well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is yer Check Engine light flashing when you accelerate? If so, it's misfiring and you don't want to drive it in that condition as you stand a good chance of damaging the engine and/or the catalytic converter. When was the last time you performed a major tune up like plugs, wires, PCV valve, MAF cleaning, throttle/IAC valve cleaning? ;)

One of the best things you can do is to git yer own OBDII scanner. You don't need a super fancy one to do most of the major things. I picked up a BAFX Products bluetooth version off of Amazon fer about $25 shipped. Paired with the $5 OBD Fusion app, it performs quite well.
CEL is solid, last major tune was a couple of years ago, @ around 290K miles , will look into getting my own scanner, for now using my local mechanic who does not charge me for the hock up

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,618 Posts
I'm gonna guess you have a P0171 which is usually a vacuum leak. You'll need to check all yer vacuum lines and intake air hose fer cracks. ;)

If yer checking with an OBDII device, check the long and short term fuel trims at idle. If they are maxed out, you have a vacuum leak. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm gonna guess you have a P0171 which is usually a vacuum leak. You'll need to check all yer vacuum lines and intake air hose fer cracks. ;)

If yer checking with an OBDII device, check the long and short term fuel trims at idle. If they are maxed out, you have a vacuum leak. ;)
Turned out to be a bad plug wire, (cyl#3), put new plug wires set, problem solved. thanks

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,618 Posts
Turned out to be a bad plug wire, (cyl#3), put new plug wires set, problem solved. thanks
Glad you got it resolved! I'm surprised a code fer misfire didn't set. ;)

Just so yer up to date on the cylinder numbering, the odd numbered cylinders have the coil packs while the even numbered cylinders have the wire set. The right side of the engine (as reference to the position of the driver facing forward) aka passenger side is the odd number cylinders while the left side is the even number cylinders. The coil to wire pair is set to a difference of 3. So cylinder 1 is to cylinder 4, cylinder 3 is to cylinder 6, and cylinder 5 is to cylinder 2. So yer misfire would've been cylinder 4, P0304? If it was P0303, I would suspect the COP boots are cracked and allowing the spark to jump the the spark plug tube. It probably wouldn't hurt to inspect/replace the spark plug boots on all 3 COPs. I got mine at Advanced Auto fer about $20 each. It looks like the same ones are about $7 each. ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
13,618 Posts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts