Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96' w/ 1.6 and an auto trans shudders any time I am accelerating with the wheel turned. It feels like a wheel is badly out of balance or the engine is shaking. Its not the familiar click of a CV joint, and the tires are great. This happens at any speed and stops completely if I let off the gas or straighten the wheel. Any ideas or similar experiences? How was the problem resolved?

While I have you attention, (assuming anyone is willing to take there time to help 馃檹) I also have an engine light for insufficient flow in the EGR port. I have tried clearing the code, but it returns in a couple days. The repair is a pain in the ars for such a minor issue. Is there a patch to make the system thing its fine? A bypass of some sort? I make such little power that I dont care if the EGR is not robing my of what little power I do have. A block of plate and resistor to fool the computer?

Thank you for any advice or thoughts you have!

Professor Dillweed

Registered
1997 Corolla
It might still be an axle. You can check them by hand and make sure that one of them isn't too floppy.

Reactions: NoGo3 and Apples555

Registered
1997, Toyota Corolla, STD
If you have problems with the EGR (this is the P0401 code?), maybe there is something you can fix or replace. So, I recommend this video, where some guy explains how to check the different elements of the EGR system. That video was so helpful for me, to understand and check the system. I had a bad solenoid, so I had it tested and replaced, and the problem was solved.

Registered
1997 Corolla
I would say it could be a misfire, but I don't know why it would only happen while turning. Check all the suspension.

Not easy to fool the computer EGR system check. It doesn't use a temperature sensor to monitor the operation. It uses the intake vacuum (MAP) reading to figure out if enough exhaust gas is being recirculated during the proper conditions. Most likely it's a bad EGR Vacuum Modulator or the intake passages are clogged with soot.

Reactions: 96toy

Registered
My 96' w/ 1.6 and an auto trans shudders any time I am accelerating with the wheel turned. It feels like a wheel is badly out of balance or the engine is shaking. Its not the familiar click of a CV joint, and the tires are great. This happens at any speed and stops completely if I let off the gas or straighten the wheel. Any ideas or similar experiences? How was the problem resolved?

While I have you attention, (assuming anyone is willing to take there time to help 馃檹) I also have an engine light for insufficient flow in the EGR port. I have tried clearing the code, but it returns in a couple days. The repair is a pain in the ars for such a minor issue. Is there a patch to make the system thing its fine? A bypass of some sort? I make such little power that I dont care if the EGR is not robing my of what little power I do have. A block of plate and resistor to fool the computer?

Thank you for any advice or thoughts you have!

Professor Dillweed
Cleaning an EGR takes time and care, but when you finish the job there so much satisfaction. Put on a new gasket when you put it back together. A bad CV joint can act up especially while turning with jerking and clicking. Doing any job right is worth the trouble every time. Take shortcuts and you'll end up doing the work again until you finally do it right.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have problems with the EGR (this is the P0401 code?), maybe there is something you can fix or replace. So, I recommend this video, where some guy explains how to check the different elements of the EGR system. That video was so helpful for me, to understand and check the system. I had a bad solenoid, so I had it tested and replaced, and the problem was solved.

Thanks for the video, I will test things before I tear into the intake manifold.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the inner CV.
I have not had any noise and am familiar with the typical clicking sound a CV makes. But that is usualy caused in turns due to the deflection of the joint under load when its about to fail. I dont know that I have ever seen/herd an inner joint fail. I will have to get under there and pull on them to see if there is any slop. She runs and drives fine when going strait.

Registered
91 Camry DX, 94 Estima SC AWD, 95 Previa SC, 95 Corolla DX m/t
I also have an engine light for insufficient flow in the EGR port. I have tried clearing the code, but it returns in a couple days. The repair is a pain in the ars for such a minor issue. Is there a patch to make the system thing its fine? A bypass of some sort? I make such little power that I dont care if the EGR is not robing my of what little power I do have. A block of plate and resistor to fool the computer?
The biggest misconception with EGRs is that people seem to think they reduce power. They do not. The EGR system is designed to recirculate exhaust gases into the intake so the ECM can lean out the fuel mixture slightly (mainly in highway cruising). The EGR won't even open unless specific conditions are met, so it can't rob you of any power. These cars are just slow lol.

That being said, the fact that the EGR lets the engine run slightly leaner on the highway by mixing concentrated fuel with unburnt fuel in the exhaust stream means that fuel economy is improved. Also side effect of cleaner emissions too.
I had this same code in both my Corolla and my Previa. With the check engine light, the Corolla was getting about 27mpg combined avg while the van was getting somewhere around 15mpg combined avg. After clearing the EGR passages and clearing the check engine lights, the Corolla went up to 35mpg and the van went up to 21mpg; no change in driving habits or other hacks. Purely and simply fixing the EGR.

The actual solution to fixing the EGR code isn't terribly difficult, but does take time and involvement. The parts and tools you need are cheap though, you don't need much.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The biggest misconception with EGRs is that people seem to think they reduce power. They do not. The EGR system is designed to recirculate exhaust gases into the intake so the ECM can lean out the fuel mixture slightly (mainly in highway cruising). The EGR won't even open unless specific conditions are met, so it can't rob you of any power. These cars are just slow lol.

That being said, the fact that the EGR lets the engine run slightly leaner on the highway by mixing concentrated fuel with unburnt fuel in the exhaust stream means that fuel economy is improved. Also side effect of cleaner emissions too.
I had this same code in both my Corolla and my Previa. With the check engine light, the Corolla was getting about 27mpg combined avg while the van was getting somewhere around 15mpg combined avg. After clearing the EGR passages and clearing the check engine lights, the Corolla went up to 35mpg and the van went up to 21mpg; no change in driving habits or other hacks. Purely and simply fixing the EGR.

The actual solution to fixing the EGR code isn't terribly difficult, but does take time and involvement. The parts and tools you need are cheap though, you don't need much.
Agreed. Im not deceived that there is power to be found. I was just hoping to find a permanent solution. This thing only has 90K on it and I will most likely have to deal with it again. Like you I maintain a small fleet of 7 vehicles and sometimes I feel that they own me. Having to split the intake and clean soot out of an intake is a waisted day I could be spending on anything else. The shaking under acceleration while turning is my real problem. Unlike the EGR, I dont have an obvious solution.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

That's some great step by step advice. hoping its the solenoid so I don't have to open the intake. (y)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts