Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my cressida died at a red light
before that wen i was driving the car it was fine but at 3000 rpm there was really loud cam or vavle /rocker noise i duno wut was wrong
but the car died at a light i replaced the started well rebuilt the old one so now im stuck wuts wrong is the engine really siezed ?
i cant get it to start not even crank

·
Registered
9 Posts
my cressida died at a red light
before that wen i was driving the car it was fine but at 3000 rpm there was really loud cam or vavle /rocker noise i duno wut was wrong
but the car died at a light i replaced the started well rebuilt the old one so now im stuck wuts wrong is the engine really siezed ?
Do you check and change your oil?

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
Oil? check the level on the dipstick.

Seized? Put the gearbox into Neutral (not Park) and put a spanner on the bit nut on the pulley at the front of the crank shaft.
If you can turn the nut (and hence the pulley and the crank) then it is not seized.

Check the fuses (near the battery).

Out of fuel?

Look for any loose plugs in the engine bay.

Buy a cheap multimeter and check the voltage on the battery.
Less than 13V indicates an electrical problem (maybe bad battery or bad generator).

Could be plenty of other things but check these first.

- Stepho

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Buy a cheap multimeter and check the voltage on the battery.
Less than 13V indicates an electrical problem (maybe bad battery or bad generator).

- Stepho
assuming the engine is running. engine off 13v is a problem. you're looking for 12.6v ideally but anything over 12 should at least halfway crank over the engine

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fuel was at half battery at full
doesnt crank i can hear the starter ingauge but it wong go
replaced starter contacts a month ago

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if i can turn the harmonic balancer then the engine isnt siezed aight ill give that a shot

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well guys i finally found out wut happened
the car had rod nock and i didnt notice it but wut can rod knock do to your car does it dammage alot of components?

·
11,511 Posts
It can. From what I read it can stop the engine immediately or it could knock for many more miles, before the engine quits. But the majority do suggest not driving the car at all, until it is fixed or at the most, drive it as little as possible, under the speed where it would start to knock

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
it will eventually blow the engine.

by eventually, i mean somewhere between when you crank it and the next time you fill up with gas.

by blow the engine, i mean parts that are supposed to be one and together will cease to be that way and it will start to make significantly louder noises accompanied by a lot of shaking as the crank hammers the block to pieces with the remains of the broken rod.

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
damm well right now i cant get it to start after the rod knock so the motor must be done eh
if only toyota made these 7m wit out error of rod knock or BHG
so wut causes rod knock lack of lub ? lower octane fuel?
any ways im looking into a 2jz swap or rebuild the 7m wuts ur opinion

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Currency is USD cause that's what I know prices in.
Which engine really depends on what you want to do with the car, what work you can do yourself, and what your budget is.

If you have all the tools and a shop available to measure everything and rebuild it yourself, you're out $1000 for a stock engine.

For that price you can get a running 2j (albeit NA but 40 hp over the cressida to start with, none of the problems, and so much potential) Yes you'll end up spending more getting it in (wiring, exhaust, mounts) but for the most part it's not rocket science. people have been doing it for 10 years. $1500-2k depending on what you spend on labor/accessories

to get a rebuilt 7mge or have yours rebuilt will run from1500-3000. remember you get what you paid for, keep the paperwork, and document even the oil changes just in case there's a warranty issue.

Since we're on the subject, I'd send you my 7m for 1000+shipping (I've got a little over 1k into it. I'd guess $300 for shipping, might be more since it's international). Just rebuilt it myself at school. 7mgte block for oil squirters, new 5m oil pump (extra volume), new NA pistons, 7M crank (more counterweights than 6M crank that was in it), head and block decked, 1mm MHG, ARP studs, EGR deleted, water passage behind cyl#6 drilled, runs like a bat outta heck. I put it in, drove it hard to break it in and now the tranny input shaft bearing is making noise after only 25 miles. Willing to sell the engine out of my car because I've got a 2JZ that I should have rebuilt and put in sitting next to it in the garage with all the accouterments except exhaust.

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well right now i got about a solid 5 grand saved up first i was looking into getting a 2JZGTE wit port and polish and forged pistons and crank from this site suprastore.com they build supra engines but i dont think i can find a 6 speed manual but yes i do intend on getting a 2JZGTE i want my car to be a weekend car drive it to go out and hav a drifting setup so i can go to these competitions as for that 7M i got right now i want to rebuild it once i get my auto service technician licence but yea if u got noe any places or web sites that make 2JZ engines and transmission that would help alot
oh and for future reference wen i rebuild the 7m could i get lik a after maket crank and connectiing rodes and prevent rod knock?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
If you're getting a 2J anyway, don't bother with the 7M. you'll be better off getting a $750 beater corolla to drive till you get the 2JZ in. at least then you can get your money back when you're done. for a 2JZGTE drift setup, 5K isn't much. don't forget you need suspension too. check out serial9 for the best (and most expensive) parts on the market I know of right now. T3 and others also have parts. not as expensive but not as nice either.

I don't know of anyone that builds supra engines, most cressida/supra guys are too cheap to pay much and there's not a lot of minor-moderate work to be done to improve the engine. heck, cams are 800+ a set. easier to find the stock turbo parts from a supra and use it. not like the trusty old 22R that you can find all levels of built engines for sale online from stock to beefed stock to upgraded to all-out.

the 6 speed (V160/V161) costs 2-3 grand by itself and will require you to cut out 1/3 of the front floorboard and fabricate a new one to make it fit. R154 costs 500-1000 with a JZ bellhousing and is fine for 500 hp+

Nope, no aftermarket crank. some aftermarket rods but they aren't to address the rocknock issues, they're for outright strength and/or lightness. they're also not worth it. Just make sure all your oil passages are clean and your pump is good. the only thing I would worry about with the crank is that there are 2 versions: some early 7Ms (mostly in the supras 86-87, so I'm guessing all Cressidas got the later crank) actually used a 6M crank. I wish I took pics side by side when I did my engine but basically, it's got 2/3 as many counterweights so it's lighter, but not balanced as well. with the longer stroke of the 7m and the 6500 redline of those cars, I guess toyota had some problems, so they added more counterweights and made the final 7M crank to go with the lower 6200 rpm redline we all know and love. by looking at the cranks you can see that the 6M has counterweights on 2/3 of the journals, the 7M crank has them on every single one. it's also stamped on the crank "6M" or "7M" on one of the counterweights by # 3 or #4

****in short, the 7M crank is more reliable.

Reactions: k_tieu

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey so im for sure i want a 2JZ how much do u think it will set me back at
i took a look at s9 seems lik a great site well right now im saving up i just want the engine and tranny in so i can get it running then later add suspension and paint is last
trannys are hard to find cuz so little 2jz were sold in canada

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Depends on what you want... stock 2JZGTE AFAIK canada, like usa, only got the supras, so you'd be looking at an imported engine or front clip. prices are going to depend a lot on warranty, condition, and what you get with it. for a front clip (IE front half of the car with the engine and trans you want) that's gonna be your budget right there. for an engine and auto, 2-3k. engine and manual, 2500-4k. if you don't get things like the harness, computer, turbos (which might be blown anyway, who knows the mileage and history of the engine) it'll be less obviously. Your best bet for pricing is to start making calls to places that could get you the engine. look at the options, prices, and figure how much you want to buy separately (and maybe save money or at least get exactly what you're looking for) or have it all come as a package to drop in and almost run out of the box. also watch places like clubna-t.com, supraforums, supramania, and other forums.

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey so im about to ordered the engine comes wit harnest ecu and all that no for the swap
can i sawp it so that the radio and all the electiricAL components still work cuz its different fuse boxes and stuff i dont noe if i could do the sawp m self friends are telling me im gonna hav to rewire the harnest

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
hey so im about to ordered the engine comes wit harnest ecu and all that no for the swap
can i sawp it so that the radio and all the electiricAL components still work cuz its different fuse boxes and stuff i dont noe if i could do the sawp m self friends are telling me im gonna hav to rewire the harnest
yes, you can. done properly, you'll be changing the new harness to work with your existing wiring. The body harness should be mostly untouched. You have to do the wiring because the JZ harness uses different plugs and wiring to supply power to the ECM and TCM. you'll be rewiring to get that fixed, nothing to do with the radio or the rest of the interior.

Also, make sure you get the right doner engine.... JZX81 is best. JZX90 is next best, aristo is third. avoid soarer (completely wrong mounts and oil pan) and supra.

·
Registered
1991 toyota cressida
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
kk thanks so much so the wirinng isnt that much work but stilll a pain to do right
so just re wire the power supply to the ecm and the tcm ?
cuz i am not so good wit electical

1 - 20 of 21 Posts