Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2.2L I4 (5S-FE?) and I am about to lift it out of the car. This is my first engine to take out, and so far things have gone pretty well. I need to know, however, what size bolt kit I need to get so the engine will properly fit onto the stand. I believe the bolts simply go where the bellhousing bolts would, but I am not 100% positive. Any information is greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
142 Posts
the bolts are 12mm 1.25 angle

you have to remove the bell housing first (whick is a bitch), then bolt them on. oh btw only get 3 1/2 INCH bolts and don't screw them in too far or else you will crack the housing. trust me been there done that

·
Registered
142 Posts
oh i forgot to tell you, the bolts will run you 5 buck each. but 20 buck is a cheap price to pay for your enging not to be on the floor. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never heard of angle before when talking about bolts...can you explain that to me?

·
Registered
142 Posts
you got me swinging too.....

When i got them the 12mm bolts, they came in 1.25, 1.50, 1.75 angle.

had no idea but the 1.25 were the only one to fit.

oh sh!t i also forgot to tell you, get FINE thread or else it will not work..hope it helps

later

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now it is a definite 12mm diameter, 1.25 thread pitch, and 3.5 inches long? And I assume I can pick these up at Home Depot or Lowe's...or do I have to order them from an auto dealer/parts store?

·
Registered
142 Posts
trust me they are the right sizes, i just pulled my motor like 2 weeks ago and I was running around crazy trying to find a store.

i ended up getting mine at True Value, but they carry them at NAPA also.

·
Registered
664 Posts
2drcam said:
trust me they are the right sizes, i just pulled my motor like 2 weeks ago and I was running around crazy trying to find a store.

i ended up getting mine at True Value, but they carry them at NAPA also.
NAPA??? No shit...I pulled mine a couple of months ago and did the same thing...ran all over the place looking for them. I went past my local NAPA store a bunch of times. Never thought they'd have them.

I landed up getting mine at a True Value hardware store also.

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Yup 12mm x 1.25 (thread pitch) is right.

My friend and I pulled the 5S-FE out of his 94 Camry about a month ago.

Home Depot and Lowes has the bolts (12mm x 1.25), but their not long enough.

I'll have to try True Value or Ace Hardware.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well now I have one more question for those of you that have pulled your engines...what engine stand did you use? I've called the major companies like Summit Racing and Jegs, but neither have I-4 engine stands. Any help is appreciated here, as I'd like to begin soon. Thank you very much!

What good will the bolts do me without a stand? :rolleyes: d'oh!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Meisner said:
Just go to your local parts store and get one of the stands they have. Personally, I bought the cheapest stand I could find...that wasn't a piece of junk. I spent $45 for one over the counter. It handles about 750 lbs.

Steve
Went searching today...750lbs for $41.99! What a deal I'd say, compared to internet prices over $70. Are the stands all universal...meaning if I have the right bolts to match, it will hold my engine no matter what?

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
gcs118 said:
Are the stands all universal...meaning if I have the right bolts to match, it will hold my engine no matter what?
Yes.

Theres a big metal plate with 4 pegs on it that bolts to the engine. The pegs are adjustable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts