Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Out of gas? Broken timing belt? We need a little more information in order to give you any meaningful advice.

G

·
0 Posts
au 5 spd? bad alternator caused the battery to drain and car to shut off do to lack of electricity. timing belt snapped, distributer fried, ignitor went to shit, fuel pump died, blew some fuses, etc...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Let's start with some intelligent questions guys. You're not helping like this.

Which engine?
CEL on?
How many miles on it?
How long since timing belt was changed?
Any other "indiccators" that point somewhere?

If it just suddenly died, I would guess timing belt off hand.

Do you have power? Or is the battery pretty much dead. If that's good then the charging system should be fine.

Process of elimination. Figure what is working to point yourself to the problem.

If you think it might be the timing belt, don't turn it over. Possible engine damage may occur.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I think we should start with an intelligent post to begin anything...

Just asking "why something happened" without giving any info what-so-ever doesnt really give much room for anything else. Why should we be the ones asking for more information, why not just post the info in the first post. We're not the ones asking the original question and I'm too old to play guessing games. Just my 2 cents.

Answer would of been better had by just taking the car to some shop and have them look at it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine Stopped Running

This is not my car . This is all the info I have . I was just looking for the most likely cause.If you have any ideas give a reply . If you don't . Don't

·
Registered
206 Posts
Flashmn said:
I think we should start with an intelligent post to begin anything...

Just asking "why something happened" without giving any info what-so-ever doesnt really give much room for anything else. Why should we be the ones asking for more information, why not just post the info in the first post. We're not the ones asking the original question and I'm too old to play guessing games. Just my 2 cents.

Answer would of been better had by just taking the car to some shop and have them look at it.
If it pains you so much to answer people like this then why do you even bother posting at all?

Personally the older I get (41) the more i enjoy trying to help people. Some people don't know what questions to ask, so imo it's our job to help them through it. Maybe they didn't take it to shop because they're short on cash and are trying to get some answers so they can fix it themselves.

I remeber when I was young, I didn't always know what questions to ask or what to look for. I appreciated those (and still do) that were willing to help anyway.

Jack*** See if you can get some more info and we can help you out.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
If it pains you so much to answer people like this then why do you even bother posting at all?
Seriously, sometimes it does :D Most of the time I do like to give advice, I'm part-time teaching students in automotive tech. Dont you think that if I thought it was complete shit to give advice that I wouldnt of been here for the 6 years I've been on this forum? ;)

Some people don't know what questions to ask, so imo it's our job to help them through it. Maybe they didn't take it to shop because they're short on cash and are trying to get some answers so they can fix it themselves.
Maybe, but if the only information they have is "it died on the highway". Then how are you gonna help. There really isnt much of a way to do so. Thus only way to really know whats the problem is have someone who knows automotive mechanics have a look at it. Its impossible to troubleshoot a car over the internet, because you cant have a hands-on approach, with very minute information.

I was just looking for the most likely cause.
There isnt a "most likely" cause, it can literally be anything from an empty tank, to a cracked piston.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Engine Stopped Running

So you think it's a cracked piston . Thank's Flashmn you've been a big help. Do i have to replace piston now ? Also should I replace the Muffler bearings? Thanks Dude your the best.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
Jackass said:
So you think it's cracked piston . Thank's Flashmn you've been a big help. Do i have to replace piston now ? Also should I replace the Muffler bearings? Thanks Dude your the best.
wow. you really don't know how to provide any information.

i repeat. aliens did it.

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
tnmk said:

Personally the older I get (41) the more i enjoy trying to help people. Some people don't know what questions to ask, so imo it's our job to help them through it. Maybe they didn't take it to shop because they're short on cash and are trying to get some answers so they can fix it themselves.

I remeber when I was young, I didn't always know what questions to ask or what to look for. I appreciated those (and still do) that were willing to help anyway.

Jack*** See if you can get some more info and we can help you out.

What he said.

There are a few people who get on sites like this just to try and pull someones crank.
There are some who just aren't as auto-savy or as mechenical minded as some of us are, just don't know what questions to ask, or what to look for, and view the knowledgable ones as Gearhead Gods.

It doesn't take long to weed out the first group with a little patience and keen observation, but berating someone for a not-so-smart question doesn't seem becoming of a Gearhead God

Sorry if I sound like I am preaching, I'm just an old fart that loves machines.

G

·
0 Posts
this topic just fell down the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts