Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My 4A-F engine in my corolla lx just died, so i wounder...

What engine besides from my 4a-f could fit in my car ?
I try'd understand the "swap" sticker but i didn't understand.

Sorry the english, im not perfekt;)

-Thanks

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Any Toyota motor that begins with 4A... 4AC, 4AF, 4AFE, 4AGE 16V (Blue Top, Red Top), 4AGZE, 4AGE 20V (Silver or Blacktop). They're all the same block (4A). Then with modifications, 3SGE/3SGTE.

Of course, if you want to reach beyond the stars, you can always try throwing in millions of other motors which would require serious cutting, welding, and dreams... :)

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
The 4As', yea. Of course, the ECU has to be changed to suit and maybe the wiring harness. But yea, because they're all the same blocks they'll drop in with little mod required.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
should mount up fine and fit your transmission, You'll have to get the ECU and wiring harness to use that though. Also, the fuel pumps should be different detween the carbed 4af and the efi 4afe

·
Vroom?
2003 Audi A4
4,408 Posts
well if it is a 4afe and your head is fine. You could swap the head and it'll just be a 4af saving you time. The fuel pumps are different, 4afe had an in tank pump where as the 4af had a mechanical one off the side of the head.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
2E motors were used in Corollas before I believe in some asian country. Maybe they're the same with 4E, meaning it should be able to drop into the Corolla.

I believe there's someone on here, I'm sure on cardomain (it's a nice green AE92) that is implanted with the 4EFTE. A motor seen in Toyota Starlets.

·
Homer Lusk Collyer
AE92
1,144 Posts
My (minimal) understanding is that the E blocks (2E, 4E, 5E) are different from the A series blocks. They should physically fit in the engine bay but I believe you will need custom mounts. I don't think it will be a direct swap like a 4A would be.

·
Registered
1992 Celica GT
1,290 Posts
Well if you have the engine on hand, take some measurments and compare the mounting points

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
OMG! I was just wondering when this question was going to pop up again. :disappoin :lol:

as for the wiring harness... no maybes.. it has to be changed unless you like splicing and cutting wires and trying to figure out where they match to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts