Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i know everyone is talking about 3stge swaps (which im thinking about, however the transmission is auto and i hear the exhaust doesn't match up?) but im just wondering about the 7th gen celica engines. Are they able to be swaped in? and if so does it create the same problem with the tranny?

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
depends on how much money you want to spend. if you used a 2zz, youd have to use its tranny too. it would cost, and i dont think it would be worthwhile compared to a 3sgte of any gen.

if you were swapping a gte in there why wouldnt you swap trannys too. since you are there, why not make it a manual so you can use every drop of power you make. i did an auto to manual swap on my 4th gen. it wasnt difficult at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
power isn't my main priority yet. I would love to get every ounce of power i could get out of this car, but money is a very big issue.
i don't want to put in 6grand for the swap and ahve the engine, or some other party of the car crap out on me months or even a few years later.

being only 19 and working part time through school, this car has got to last. the money:life ratio has got to be pertty high =)
but if that means 3sgte and new tranny, i will be definatly looking more into it.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
well, of course the cheapest route would be to just rebuild what you got. if you wanna do a swap, i think the going price around tn is it costing upwards of 6 grand. thanks to a freebie, im going to be going all out and putting a 1mz in my fourth gen. im pretty excited about it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If money is an issue, then swapping in a 2zzge should be more expensive than swapping in a 3sgte. Why not just go with a 3sge? It makes good horsepower. It is cheaper, depending on generation of course. Also, you should be able to just use your current tranny. To my knowledge at least.

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
another good option. of course, if you want anything other than a first gen 3sge, youll have to get it imported.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
i'd say if money is critical, get a low milage 5sfe, There was a member on celica.net who swapped a 97 5s to his 90st184. The engine+labor costed his close to 750. Mind you the engine only had 30K miles on it. That is what i'd do for a daily commuter...if your car is a project car, then i'd go with 3s route!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts