Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here, I have a 2004 base highlander 4cyl fwd. I have shot a rod and need to replace the engine, but I was hoping to be able to upgrade the engine to a V6. My issue is I don’t know what/if other engines would fit in my car. I realize that if I do change the engine I would also probably have to get a new transmission as well. If anyone has any suggestions or knows more than I do please let me know! Would appreciate it greatly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Couple of things. Ive been working on cars for 40+ years. Seen alot. Rebuilt alot. When I grew up working on small block chevy V8s we used to swap engines all the time. Parts as well. GM had different bodies. But the engines were the same. THIS is not longer the case. I understand wanting to put 'something else' in there. But you will create alot of problems for yourself. Mostly expensive problems. I do not know-nor you probably either-if motor mounts will match up...4cy to 6cy. Ditto for transmission mount. Will the CV joints need to be replaced as well? What about all the sensor hookups? THAT chassis was made for a 4cy. You would be wise to put one back in it and upgrade the tranny as well since you have it out. I have a HL 2005 Base also. I love that 4cyl. Its all the power you really need. IF you really want to rebuild and thats brave of you....keep that same engine. Find a used crate engine. Find a used tranny...there will be and end to all your work. With the 6 swap, who knows what problems you will run into. BTW I did order a used 99 Accord tranny and had a friend put it in. I took a chance on an ebay purchase and so far pretty happy. I just could not find a tranny for that for under 1200 locally. Ended up paying 600ish on ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put another 2AZ in there.
Put another 2AZ in there.
OMG---Just saw that --we are not here to do all the work for you. LOL. Soo many posts seem to be this. I just shake my head and stay out of it. The generation behind me has not grown up with cars. They really have no clue. Sad. I keep telling them --you better be making a good income because you are going to PAY $100-200/hr for someone to work on your car. Thats what you get for not taking shop classes. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
OMG---Just saw that --we are not here to do all the work for you. LOL. Soo many posts seem to be this. I just shake my head and stay out of it. The generation behind me has not grown up without cars. They really have no clue. Sad. I keep telling them --you better be making a good income because you are going to PAY $100-200/hr for someone to work on your car. Thats what you get for not taking shop classes. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OMG---Just saw that --we are not here to do all the work for you. LOL. Soo many posts seem to be this. I just shake my head and stay out of it. The generation behind me has not grown up with cars. They really have no clue. Sad. I keep telling them --you better be making a good income because you are going to PAY $100-200/hr for someone to work on your car. Thats what you get for not taking shop classes. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple of things. Ive been working on cars for 40+ years. Seen alot. Rebuilt alot. When I grew up working on small block chevy V8s we used to swap engines all the time. Parts as well. GM had different bodies. But the engines were the same. THIS is not longer the case. I understand wanting to put 'something else' in there. But you will create alot of problems for yourself. Mostly expensive problems. I do not know-nor you probably either-if motor mounts will match up...4cy to 6cy. Ditto for transmission mount. Will the CV joints need to be replaced as well? What about all the sensor hookups? THAT chassis was made for a 4cy. You would be wise to put one back in it and upgrade the tranny as well since you have it out. I have a HL 2005 Base also. I love that 4cyl. Its all the power you really need. IF you really want to rebuild and thats brave of you....keep that same engine. Find a used crate engine. Find a used tranny...there will be and end to all your work. With the 6 swap, who knows what problems you will run into. BTW I did order a used 99 Accord tranny and had a friend put it in. I took a chance on an ebay purchase and so far pretty happy. I just could not find a tranny for that for under 1200 locally. Ended up paying 600ish on ebay.
Thank you for your insight !

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,305 Posts
That's why I troll (encourage) them to see if they come back with this cool engine swap and be like "see, it can be done!" They typically don't come back. If they seem smart and understanding, they have my full emotional support. If they keep on insisting then they got nothing. Like someone wanting a Manual Transmission because they apparently blew three Automatic Transmissions for their 12+ Avalon that never had a manual transmission.

Anything can be done, as long as you have money, resources, skills, tools, contacts, time, and contacts. Those that can do it don't need the help of strangers on some forum. They just do it.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Another source for a 2AZ may be a JDM engine importer.
You would need a donor car to do the swap. It might be interesting but no real point other than can you do it. As mentioned it requires an engine and transmission plus axles and I think hubs, different wiring harness, ECM, throttle body and air cleaner, cats, some of the tubes are different. Cradle is the same but need different mounts.
If you want something interesting to do and you have that much time and skill, find a retirement home and volunteer to help seniors with diagnostics and maintenance.

·
Registered
598 Posts
OMG---Just saw that --we are not here to do all the work for you. LOL. Soo many posts seem to be this. … you better be making a good income because you are going to PAY $100-200/hr for someone to work on your car. Thats what you get for not taking shop classes. :)
DIY is dying. Is becoming DIFM (Do It for Me).

I don’t know when, but the US got away from useful trade/skill classes. I wish the US would emulate Europe’s education system. Trade school vs College bound are identified early on in K-12 system. Trade bound kids graduate from high school are destined for a decent or well paying trade. Not everyone is meant to go to College or has the intellect to do so. Nothing wrong w/ a well paying trade. Beats going to College and walking out w/ a crap ton in loans, and having a crap paying job.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
15,305 Posts
DIY is dying. Is becoming DIFM (Do It for Me).

I don’t know when, but the US got away from useful trade/skill classes. I wish the US would emulate Europe’s education system. Trade school vs College bound are identified early on in K-12 system. Trade bound kids graduate from high school are destined for a decent or well paying trade. Not everyone is meant to go to College or has the intellect to do so. Nothing wrong w/ a well paying trade. Beats going to College and walking out w/ a crap ton in loans, and having a crap paying job.
But no-one wants to work a poor paying job in a factory!? We aim for higher! Expect Excellance (high-school or school district model). Except not everyone is meant for higher. Except working in a factory isn't that bad.

I believe if my high-school had a actual automotive class I might've chosen a different career path. I don't regret having gone to technical school to learn about cars despite that because it is very useful information. The classes my high-school had are... not at all related to skilled trades.

Something I can't help but wonder about, unless you are born in a quite wealthy family, is it okay for an offspring to NOT surpass their parent? For example, is it okay for the CEOs son to work as a janitor because he wants to be a janitor? Or does the son need to be the future CEO? To work hard and strive to be better, there's nothing wrong with that but you can only go so far or you already reached the peak of your success so it can only go down. I don't know.

Theres nothing wrong with DIFM but the main thing about it is that you need to have the right contacts to help you. A forum can help but a forum will make you run circles because you don't understand anything and they don't understand what you don't understand. Honestly the relative irony of DIFM is the lack of DIY and if there is no DIY then DIFM will eventually die because there is no one to do it. Or something like that.

DIY is dying yet people complain about costs so they attempt DIY.

·
Registered
2013 Venza XLE V6 FWD
85 Posts
Hello, new here, I have a 2004 base highlander 4cyl fwd. I have shot a rod and need to replace the engine, but I was hoping to be able to upgrade the engine to a V6. My issue is I don’t know what/if other engines would fit in my car. I realize that if I do change the engine I would also probably have to get a new transmission as well. If anyone has any suggestions or knows more than I do please let me know! Would appreciate it greatly
Sell all the parts of your car on eBay, you can buy yourself another highlander with a working engine with that money:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Engine, transmission, ECU... pretty major undertaking and likely cheaper to sell it for scrap value and buy a used replacement.
This can sound extreme until you factor in all the details & costs just to get your ride going again..
Personally, I've sourced 'backup' vehicles to use for donor parts when needed (scrap prices in FL aren't much)
But also have the acre to store extras here..

I agree that it's better to move on with a serviceable auto at this point.. We all feel that pain - and recall our own dead
rides.. It's like a loyal horse bit by rattlesnake. There are decent deals out there, may luck favor your search engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts