Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to swap out the engine in my avy currently doing a full suspension rework and the motors on its way out. Would like something with a little extra umf and preferably a plug and play motor if anyone has any suggestions even if it’s just a updated 1mz I’d love to know

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Just do a direct swap for the same exact rebuilt/manufactured engine as your current one. I would assume if you wanted a late model 1MZ you would need to look into wiring as far as I know because of the VVTI unless yours has it.

·
Administrator
14,388 Posts
^+1 to a same-engine swap.

This gen Avy didn't have VVT, the Gen2's got that. And it doesn't have a whole lot more power; 210 Vs 200. Not worth the trouble for 10 HP, if you ask me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
TRD made a supercharger for the V6 but its long unavailable. You can search for one but it's price-wise it's likely unobtainium. I have a low-mileage 46K car that my dad bought new many years ago. The stock hp/tq are certainly adequate in a good running car to propel it. I'd like to upgrade the handling, eliminate the body roll and stiffen the suspension. That was my thought a year ago when I got the car. I've come to the realization that modding 1st gen Avys is nearly impossible. I've learned to enjoy the car for what it is. My much faster and great handling car has been used little since then. See that electrical cord on the ground...that's for the Battery
Tender on the Turbo car. The Avalon gets driven!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really want more horsepower, then just buy a 300 horsepower Lexus GS400, ( made 1998-2000 model years). It's cheaper, to just buy an older, (and now inexpensive Toyota product car, of the same era), with an additional stock 100 more horsepower, (than the 1MZ), than to build up your 1MZ, or swap in, some other motor, in place of your 1MZ. Better yet, just enjoy the Avalon, for what it is, was, which is a 200 horsepower, smooth riding, spacious, ultra dependable, now vintage, Toyota product car. Just enjoy it, and leave the higher horsepower duties, to other cars, unless you have alot of money, and time, to spend, on building up, your Avalon. Gen1 Avalons still have so much value, and driveability, even now 20-25 years later...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.