Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions for people a lot smarter than I am. I have an 88 toyota pickup with 230000 miles on the original motor (22re) and tranny (5-speed). It is not nearly fast enough for me. I was wanting to put a ford 302 out of a mustang GT in it. Problem is I need to replace The tranny soon what do you guys think should I try to make a ford tranny and transfer case work or should I buy another toyota tranny and transfer case and make that work with the 302. Suggestions and comments are always welcome thats why Im here. Thanks

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
... should I try to make a ford tranny and transfer case work or should I buy another toyota tranny and transfer case and make that work with the 302. ...
Do you have any idea how to make a Toyota tranny work w/a 302?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mostly Cruising but I would still want to go offroad at times. Its an everyday driver right now but with a little lift and 33's I can barely get out of my own way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read online they make bellhousing kits to bolt it up to a 302 I havent priced anything out yet but they say it can be done. This is my first venture into a 4X4 or a toyota so im trying to figure things out at this point.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I did the Buick 231 V6 swap years ago (using the odd-fire version Jay mentions).

You could probably use a Toyota tranny if you plan on taking it real easy, but a Ford auto adapted to the Toyota t-case would be better.

Beefing up the suspensiona and cooling is required, and a 2-3" BL will help too.

Check out Adavance Adapters, they are the leader in swaps, and source most of NWOR and Downey's stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts