Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
aren't NAs motors 5SFEs??.....this swap has been done by many....u should be able to pass smog sniffer tests....its the visual u may fail....as long as ur swapping in a genII motor with all EGRs components still intact and a stock motor......

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe he's confused, it happens.

So many people have swapped from NA to turbo. Just put all the smog equipment on it & you'll be fine.

I did a "J-Spec" swap on my SC & I passed smog no problem at a test only center.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Unless you have like a 98+ I believe it is... you do not have a 3sge. You have a 5sfe. The swap is a direct bolt up, but you will need a COMPLETE clip. Make sure you have axles, downpipes, exhaust system, air flow meter, intercooler, wiring harness etc. etc.... missing parts are a bitch to find... i got pretty lucky.

As for living in California... you ARE screwed for smog if you get a JDM engine. You will either have to pay the guy to pass you... or get all the missing emissions equipment such as EGR, Cat, factory intake... etc. I just plan on paying :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.