Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if my friend were to get a nonturbo supra could i swap a twin turbo 2zjgte in. im pritty sure u can i just want to be doulbe sure before i go telling him something.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
the pain is in the wiring. you can get the engine installed quite easily if you know what you're doing

but good luck wiring it up

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
2J fits in MK II and forward Supras with minor modification. The 6 speed requires heavy work on anything but the original, and does not fit right. To cut down on wiring nightmares, I recommend standalones for this type of swap (too damn much work otherwise). Get the 1J bellhousing and use the R154 in all cases.

I'd like to know why you can't keep the twins, or why you wouldn't want them? The stockers are a little taxed with higher boost, but properly upgraded twins are far superior for road racing and street applicaitons, except the plumbing of course.

Drag racing and/or ease/cost of install are the only reasons to go single IMO.

Bob

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
bgrieger said:
2J fits in MK II and forward Supras with minor modification. The 6 speed requires heavy work on anything but the original, and does not fit right. To cut down on wiring nightmares, I recommend standalones for this type of swap (too damn much work otherwise). Get the 1J bellhousing and use the R154 in all cases.
Yup. The V160 (6-speed) is a NON-SERVICABLE TRANS. If your synchros or whatnot are gone, bye bye, time for a new tranny.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i ned to kno how much hp a non turbo supra motor can handle compared to the turbo one. and how much work is swapping out a tranny that FITS and is a 6 speed. thanks for ur help

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Why do you want the six-speed - other than the fact that it's got the extra cog? An R154 should do perfectly fine.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Someone looked into the 6spd getrag (MKIV tranny) once. Basically, a ton of work to have the same first and final ratios (effectively). All this means, you need to perform one extra shift to the 5 speed with negligible gain in top speed. Unless you feel the need to open up the tranny tunnel extensively, and have the shifter sit 6 inches further back than it does now, and like shifting more frequently for the same end result, it just seems more work to me, but to each their own...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so it would be easyer just to keep the stock 5 speed is what ur saying or would i have to get a six speed for the swap. Id probably be swaping the motor into a 1990 that im looking at

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Don't get the six-speed. Like Bob's saying, there's no point. The 7M/2JZ make plenty of torque, no need for the extra cog.

Did you even heed my post above, talking about the fact that you CANNOT rebuild the MKIV's 6-speed V160 tranny?

I'd personally stick to an R154. Unless your budget is unlimited and your mechanical skills far above average, a six isn't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Actually, the six is servicable. Officially it's not, but they can be done by most shops. There's also a doghouse gearset available for them if you want to lose the syncros altogether.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Not really corrected. For anyone receiving a paycheque, they are essentially not rebuildable. I believe that the dog set is in the neighborhood of $7500 US alone (one road racer down in the states has it)...plus a machinist and tranny shop visit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts