Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im on here for a friend hes got a 1992 Toyota Camery its has a 4 cyl Auto. ITs looks alright got a good system has lexus wheels intake and some other goodies. But hes after more power and ive done many enigne swaps on VWs and Gm and Ford Prouducts But im lost on what info to give him i know i can do the labour but what motor would be the best for performance to put in this thing.

Thanks in advance guys

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
3sgte would probably be the best for a 2nd gen. camry. Use the search button and you'll find loads of info.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :disappoin :

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
trdcamry2003 said:
3sgte would probably be the best for a 2nd gen. camry. Use the search button and you'll find loads of info.
92 aint a second gen homes...

87-91 gen2
92-96 gen3

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
No swap on that car is going to be really easy. 3sgte means ou are gonna have to do a auto to manual conversion also. Tell him to be original and put a 3mzfe in it.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
haha, the 3mz is gonna cost a fortune, cuz u're not gonna find one at like a junkyard or anything yet. kinda tough to total a brand new car :p:

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
02RSX90camry said:
haha, the 3mz is gonna cost a fortune, cuz u're not gonna find one at like a junkyard or anything yet. kinda tough to total a brand new car :p:
Well actually you can find a couple on Car-parts.com I mean it's still not cheap or anything but no swap on an automatic 3rd gen that gives you significant gains is gonna be "cheap". I did an auto to manual conversion on my 2nd gen along with a JDM 3sfe swap. Total damage to my wallet(I did not do the labor) = about $3500. Now if you do the labor and use more used parts than me(I kept upgrading to aftermarket stuff then I would figure you could do the 3mzfe swap in a 3rd gen for about 4000 if you kept the car automatic. 3000 for engine, 500 for used Trans, and 500 for miscellaneous.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
CamNub said:
Anything is possible if you have the money. Why not just get a 1mz and turbo it....
You say that as if it is simple?

A much better choice would be get a 1mz and supercharge it(since there is a TRD supercharger for it) or even do the 3mz swap like I said above.

Turbocharging the 1mz is not a simple task and you have to create your own kit. If you can't do the labor yourself and have to pay someone to do it and come up witht he kit then you are talking $$$$$$$$

LWF said:
is it possible to do the 3mz-fe swap on the gen4 camry??
Very possible and probably pretty simple. The gen 5 had the 1mzfe in it and they have the same black so it should just bolt right in. You are going to have to use the Auto trans for that engine also along with ECU and wiring harness, blah blah blah.

It might actually be pretty simple to have a 5 speed 3mzfe too if you use the parts from the Gen 4 V6 5 speeds.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Talisman said:

Very possible and probably pretty simple. The gen 5 had the 1mzfe in it and they have the same black so it should just bolt right in. You are going to have to use the Auto trans for that engine also along with ECU and wiring harness, blah blah blah.

It might actually be pretty simple to have a 5 speed 3mzfe too if you use the parts from the Gen 4 V6 5 speeds.
u said that using the auto trans for the 3mz engine, do u mean the tranny from the gen5 camry???

1 thing i worried about is that the 3mz has 5spd auto tranny, n inside the gen4, it only goes from D->2->L, but the gen5 goes from D->3->2->L............so i will lose "L", n the most i can go down to is "2" rite???

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
CamNub said:
Anything is possible if you have the money. Why not just get a 1mz and turbo it....
I change this. Rebuild it and tune it. Then turbo or s/c.

Actually, first learn about how each works. And get to know cars. ;)

·
Pissed
Camry
665 Posts
Thats what i wana do wiht my 5s-fe manual tranny, rebuild and tune. im already pretty competetive...beat some 6 cylinders, and most every 4 that pulls up, and my motor is almost stock. stick with that 4 cylinder, and just tune it, get rid of the shit that u dont need, put lighter parts on, and u should be just fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts