Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 toyota supra
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a 1984 supra celica and i just wanted to know if i could swap the engine with any newer celica engines cause the engine i got now is getting really weak and just wanted to know?.if you got anything please reply:)

·
Registered
84 and 89 Supra
361 Posts
Your most direct and documented swap is the 7mgte out of the mk3 turbo. You could be adventerous and try the 3sgte but it NOT be a fun project. Seriously though; it really depends on your budget. If you're just looking for something that's plug and play then locate a 6m from your local jap importer...just keep your 5m oil pan/pump and you're set to go.

Anything else (including the 7mgte) will require a lot more money/skill and time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So saying that one wanted to swap their 5mge for the 7mgte, would that bolt to the stock tranny? What all will still be usable? I know the wiring harness is pretty much worthless so i'll need the 7mgte harness, and prolly the gagues. But does it bolt to 5mge motor mounts and tranny?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Physically, it should bolt up. All "M" blocks share the same bellhousing pattern. You may have other nitty-gritty things to contend with such as shifter position and driveshaft, which I'm not familiar with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts