Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
car: 1993 corolla dx 1.6

my friend's car is turning over and at night we can see volts jumping around from the distributor.

do we need a new distributor? and if so, whats labor usually like or is there a guide to replacing it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't really give a decent response due to lack of information here...

The way a distributor works is it spins a rotor, which as it it spins makes contact to each of the points in the dist. cap therefor sparking each plug at the right time. You shouldn't be able to see this unless you have a clear cap. If it's cracked, etc. It needs to be replaced.

The labor on a distributor is simple, it's usually 3 or 4 bolts and it pulls out, just make sure you make your timing marks and turn the rotor to about the same area to minimize problems.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Do this: whether you need a new distro or not you will still need a new cap. So....put on a new cap and button and see if you still see sparks. If not you will know that was the problem and if so then change out your plug wires...

G

·
diver9000 said:
Damn, that sounds like a good idea. I wonder where I heard that before? LOL
maybe right here

diver9000 said:
Do this: whether you need a new distro or not you will still need a new cap. So....put on a new cap and button and see if you still see sparks. If not you will know that was the problem and if so then change out your plug wires...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I do agree with other community memebers.
Replace folowings...
1) Brand New Copper Spark Plugs 9it would be cheaper option). Fault caused to spark plugs by faulty spark plug wires or so called distributor will be rectified.
2) Replace Spark plug wires with brand new ones possibly with Denso make or excellent make aftermarket.

YOU MAY TRY IN-LINE SPARK PLUG TESTER TO TEST EACH CIRCUIT, THESE ARE AVAILABLE IN AFTER-MARKET FOR CHEAP UNDER $10/-

After carrying out above things , drive it for a while. If problem still persist, then u need to check distributor cap visually and distributor functionally.

DO NOT FORGET TO GIVE YOUR DETAILED FEED-BACK WHEN IT'S SOLVED!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts