Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am checking this Forum for other early Rav4 Hybrid water pump failures. I just got my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid Limited back after a warranty repair for a leaking water pump. Does anybody on this Forum have a similar experience? I am surprised at a Toyota failing at this early mileage. Does anybody have a similar event? I found pink fluid in the parking spot and the Engine Coolant reservoir was almost empty. Since I am living in the Phoenix area and the temps today topped 110F it is lucky I found this when I did.

·
6,410 Posts
Oh no...
Hope this is not return of the infamous early Camry Hybrid pump failures... They were plagued with that. Until 2011, then they allegedly upgraded the pump design to no leaking one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clarification on 2017 RAV4 HV engine

This engine is a 2.5L I-4 engine. Does anyone know what other cars use this engine? I could look at those threads for WP reliability info...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there a thread for this engine alone? it would be interesting to find information on the reliability. Also interesting is that this is the same engine as the Camry HV engine that user "ukrkoz" mentioned. Yes, it is an earlier version so one would assume the problem was fixed in the later models.

·
6,410 Posts
Yeah, except that that engine was first put to use in 09:
A 2.5 L version of the AR family, first released in the RAV4 in the U.S. and Canada in 2008.[3] This engine also replaced the 2AZ-FE in the U.S. and Canada Camry in early 2009
with 2AZ-FXE being just a hybrid version of it. It was also used on Camry as well as on RAV. From what I recall in TCH forum, they changed design of that pump - and I had mine replaced under warranty also - in 2011.

It's likely nothing to do with it, but sorta makes one wonder.... if an older style pump was still used on newer hybrid RAV.

Absolutely conspiracy thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts