Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 liftback that I can't get started. It has been sitting for a while and I'm pretty sure it is the carb but thought I would ask for suggestions. I have replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, and coil. The car turns over but will not fire. I drained all of the fuel and added new gas and it fired up right away. I drove it for a few miles came home turned off the car and it fired up again. I left it idle for a min and it choked out and died and now it will not start again. I am going to rebuild the carb but thought I would see if any one thought it might be something else like the distributor or something.

Any advice is greatly appreiciated!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Start from basics; spark,fuel and air. It doesn't sound like a carb problem, so I will make sure before you get your hands on it. I am more suspicous of your fuel lines and fuel pump.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
My bet is that the carb needs a good cleaning. does it have auto choke or manual choke.. if its manual choke, I would leave it running for a little while with the choke on till the carb cleans itself. My second bet, your fuel filter is probably bad and clogged with crap, I would replace that if I was you so that the fuel goes thru properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fuel filter is new and the previous owner installed an electric fuel pump. Plenty of fuel getting to the carb. As for the Choke I am not sure. I will have to take a look. What is the best way to tell? I am pretty unfamiliar with carbs. I do know that there is no lever or switch or anything like that inside the car that would be used to activate the choke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New updates. I forgot to mention before that when I try to start the car, after stop turning the engine over, when I go to turn the key off the engine kind of coughs and the whole thing shakes. If I turn the key on and off again with out turning the engin over again it will do the same thing a couple of times. Does this make sense to anyone? Also, today I checked to see if I was getting any spark to the sparkplugs and found out that I am not. The only thing that I have not replaced is the distributor. Does this sound like it could be the problem or am I just stuck checking all of the wiring?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts