Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
09 mag. grey 5 speed
344 Posts
"this was recommended by my ass.":lol:

THAT IS WHY I AM TELLING YOU FOLKS TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS BECAUSE MORE THAN LIKELY IT IS IN YOUR CAR!!.

If you folks have tried and can't get the noise to happen it's maybe because you are passing through the 2000-2300rpm range too quickly. Even if you lightly acclerate past that range you won't hear it because the noise is transient and happens quickly. NOW, if you drive the car (remember, the car has to be on for atleast 15minutes for this to happen), and manage to acclerate lightly and consistently keep the acceleration at around ~2200rpm you'll get the noise to consistently happen. Its as if the sound or vibration resonates when you keep the engine rpm @ around ~2200 rpm. You have to keep your foot steady and keep the rpm in the range of 2000-2300rpm..
i have duplicated all these conditions. whatever it is, it is not in my car. maybe i am lucky, or maybe manual trannies are not affected.

·
Registered
293 Posts
"this was recommended by my ass.":lol:

i have duplicated all these conditions. whatever it is, it is not in my car. maybe i am lucky, or maybe manual trannies are not affected.

Nope mind does not have it either....but I do expect little sounds because IT IS NOT A LEXUS!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Checked my oil yesterday. Still golden and crankshaft still full after 550 miles. Had only minor difficulty in reinserting the dipstick-no big deal for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had a Tacoma with what sounds like a similar phenomenon as what you have in your Corolla... vibration at the exact same 2000-2300 rpm range when the engine is warm, but in the transmission area instead. Drove me F'ing nuts! effects quite a few people and Toyota will do nothing about. Seems to happen across a few models of Toyota. Check the Tacoma board here on TN and you will see a lot of people bitching about similar problems as yours, but in their trucks.

·
Registered
CorollaXLE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm starting to think it perhaps can be coming from the tranny. It happs in 2nd, 3rd, or drive, and Rev. Does not happen in N, or P. Makes me suspect that it could be tranny related. Are you saying that you had to make sure your tranny was warm before you could get the sound to occur?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been looking for this all night, I was thiking that I was the only one. What you have explained is exact same thing I hear everyday, just when accelerating nor lightly nor to much, if you push the gas just right and do it at night time when its very very quiet you would hear, it almost sounds like electrisity or like you said metal to metal grinding, but not so much to the extream. Let us know what happens, i cant wait to find out.

·
Registered
CorollaXLE
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
UPDATE!

Problem still exists unfortunately! Sorry for the delay. Here are some updates:

- Toyota Product Support Rep visted the Toyota Dealer and took my car for a spin. Took another Corolla and said the engine has a natural "drone" engine sound and it was normal in that RPM range.
- It's obviously not natural for 21st Century technology to sound like a 1980's engine that you can hear the valve train tapping hard. They told me it was the engine drone issue but in all reality the problem sounds like it is coming from the valve train. The sound isn't even coming from the intake/exhast air stream. IT'S METAL TO METAL GRINDING!
- My car has currently around 1500 miles (only had 400 miles when rep looked at it) and believe it or not, the noise has reduced somewhat. The noise still exists, it just is not as loud. This could be 1 of 2 things. 1. It's colder now where I live (~30 deg. F) so that could effect the noise a little. Or it could simply be a little wear and tear on the engine valve train system and it isn't as loud.

So now I'm thinking that since it only happens when the car is really hot, it may be related to the engine oil valve train latch system (the oil valve latch systems controles the amount of time the valve stays open or closed when needed) that gets confused when you are only on partial throttle and the Engine CPU gets confused on how much to either open/close the valves. This could also be in combo with the fact that when I am in very partial throttle, not enough oil flow gets delivered to sufficiently open/close a valve during partial load/throttle applications. I know the timing strategy alters based on engine temp. At this point, I'm not an Engine Engineer for Toyota - but it seems that clearly, the grinding/rattle is coming from the valve train. And clearly, it is more excessive than the regular "valve train noise" that the 4cyl. Toyota engines are notoriously known for.

If my issue is an engine ECM electronic valve train timming issue then I can't do anything about that because that is computer s/w...but if it is an issue of oil flow during normal engine conditions (i'm not sure whether I have 0w-20, or 5w-20) but lets say I have the heavier of the two and the oil latch system needs a lighter version (to get up to the small holes and area where the latches are) then that could also be an issue - probably unlikely. I may change between oil types and see if that helps.

Toyota says the sound is normal...I'm very suprised and breath-taken that "Toyota Quality" would consider that normal...either way, my case is still open within Toyota. For those who have similar issues, open up a case @ Toyota Sales Support and get their engineering guys to tackle this one down because it may lead into other complications in engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same symptoms on my Mazda cx9, 3 months old and 2000 miles on it. I am bringing it to dealership on Monday. Today, Saturday, mechanic on duty recognized the problem and soon I'll let you know what happened.

Most probably, he said, might be the bearing at timing chain tensioner. They had few problems before regarding those bearings. Seems to me that this is a common problem on newer Japanese engines.
They replaced belt with chain to avoid 50000 miles replacement, but didn't solve some related glitches.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am having a similar, loud rattling/metal vibration noise on my 2003 I4, but it occurs under 2,000 RPM, especially louder upon acceleration. Although even when I idle it tends to be heard.

I am out of warranty, so If I take it to the dealer it will probably end up costing quite a bit. I guess I should put it up on some ramps and look around with the car running.

Any updates?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for intruding to Toyota forum with my Mazda. The reason is that I HAD exactly the same problem. You can refer to my previous post. I'm also happy to inform you that I solved my problem. Dealership did not have a clue and did not do anything for me. I tried everything! Different gas grades, gas additives, changed oil 3 times, oil additives. Nothing helped...The friend of mine, who's mechanic, pointed to VVT - variable valve timing. He said that sometimes something gets stuck there in new engines and has to be worked out.
I went for a ride on highway and kept accelerating to 3000 rpm and let it drop under 1500 rpm constantly for 30 km or 20 miles. I have a manual option so it made my life easier. It solved my problem and now my car runs like a charm. I hope it helps you too! GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am having a similar, loud rattling/metal vibration noise on my 2003 I4, but it occurs under 2,000 RPM, especially louder upon acceleration. Although even when I idle it tends to be heard.

I am out of warranty, so If I take it to the dealer it will probably end up costing quite a bit. I guess I should put it up on some ramps and look around with the car running.

Any updates?
The problem is fixed!!! they replaced the intake manifold and it is as good as new!! also did a throttle body/intake whatever cleaning and it runs like brand new!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys,
I read this thread with the utmost interest and I'm at the same time glad and surprised to hear your story.

I have a 2009 Volvo XC90 D5 (Diesel engine) and I have exactly the same problem : metal to metal rattle noise around 2000 rpm only while driving (not on P or N) with a very light acceleration and warm engine...!

I brought my car to the Volvo dealer... took a test drive with the mechanic to show him the noise... They recognized there was something wrong but so far they could not tell from where it was coming.

Do you think it could be the same problem, i.e. manifold intake ? What is the root cause behind this ? What's wrong with this manifold ?

Thank for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hey man ive had my rolla for about year and half got it a month after they came out with them in 2008 and i have noticed this noise you describe

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the rattling noise coming from the engine compartment. Although, it is not in acceleration. It makes a metallic clinging noise when I go from the P to R, and from D to P. So, is this normal? I can actually hear it loud and clear when parked in a garage, free from other noises. Tell me, what cha think guys?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts