Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
09 Corolla XRS
19 Posts
I have a 10 month old XRS and it's been doing this for a while now.

Basiclly the same conditions, 1950-2200RPM range, only in drive or reverse.

If there's a load (ie going up a hill) it's more prevelant and the engine has to be warm or have been sitting in the sun for a while.

During hard acceleration the sound is not audible or does not occur.

Not sure what it is but plan on getting the car looked at (among other things) when i take it in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 10 month old XRS and it's been doing this for a while now.

Basiclly the same conditions, 1950-2200RPM range, only in drive or reverse.

If there's a load (ie going up a hill) it's more prevelant and the engine has to be warm or have been sitting in the sun for a while.

During hard acceleration the sound is not audible or does not occur.

Not sure what it is but plan on getting the car looked at (among other things) when i take it in.
It was mentioned somewhere else, but its the VVT-i. Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence. That sound is from the valve train changing over. No real issue. Ive noticed it as well. A previous poster said that he managed to work his out on the highway by revving it, then idling, then revving, etc. It will either go away on its own, or its something youll learn to live with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did the OP ever work out what was going on here? I have what I think could be a similar issue with my 2006 Corolla (Manual)

When the engine is cold everything sounds fine. After about half an hour of driving and the engine is hot I notice a soft, background whirring or high frequency rattling noise. It sounds like it is coming from the engine bay, possibly behind the engine block, but I can't be sure.

The noise is loudest when I hit the accelerator (while moving), and on lift-off (while still in gear). The noise stops when I push the clutch, and is more or less the same frequency throughout the rev range. I cannot hear the noise when I rev the engine.

At first I thought it was something in the engine, but I assume it is not as I can't hear it at idle or when I rev the engine at a stand still. I also thought it was a transmission issue, but given that the frequency does not change when the revs drop or when car slows down or when the clutch is pushed in, I assume it is not in the transmission.

The only thing I can think it may be is something in the exhaust expanding when hot and rattling.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what this is, or where to look?

(I should say I have taken it back to the (small) dealer where I bought it - as the car is still under statutory warranty the dealer said he couldn't hear a thing - go figure).

·
Less Viscous Than Others
'13 Camry SE
419 Posts
On my 2013 LE with 5k. The engine makes the sound which you mention but only on acceleration. It's probably the vvti sound. Basically jus a noisy littl 4 banger sound. Although she is quiet all other times. So in summary for me on normal to firm acceleration it kinda rattles-taps in sync with RPMs as they rise. I don't enjoy the sound but it seems normal. Again, like a 4 banger toyota sound. A little unrefined and cheep.

Please don't let me become paranoid. But a lot of other posts mention hearing like NOTHING as the accelerate. C'mon guys...really ... No ticks at all, just total whirrrr smoothness??

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
On my 2013 LE with 5k. The engine makes the sound which you mention but only on acceleration. It's probably the vvti sound. Basically jus a noisy littl 4 banger sound. Although she is quiet all other times. So in summary for me on normal to firm acceleration it kinda rattles-taps in sync with RPMs as they rise. I don't enjoy the sound but it seems normal. Again, like a 4 banger toyota sound. A little unrefined and cheep.

Please don't let me become paranoid. But a lot of other posts mention hearing like NOTHING as the accelerate. C'mon guys...really ... No ticks at all, just total whirrrr smoothness??
I only hear the beautiful sound of my Borla exhaust & Takeda SRI when I accelerate! :D :clap:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone found the reason for this? I've had the same problem for a few years. It seems to be getting worse. 170,000 miles though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 3ZZFE (1.6) corolla and does the same thing. since i bought the car 7 years ago... the sound sometimes is there and sometimes dont... but the engine and the entire car runs like a champ without any problems or failures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue with my 2009 Corolla and that drive me nuts as well.
Started to notice it a year ago.

But in my case its 1800 RPM ish.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,721 Posts
I think that what most people are hearing are just normal valvetrain noises. Engines make noises and this has not been a well-known issue. The 4AT was a bulletproof transmission and would last forever if the fluid was changed regularly. This also points to some other common noise since people said they hear it with a 5MT and some had an XRS with a 5AT that has the 2.4L engine. This would lead me to believe that it is something completely not related to the car noises or they are just normal. Too many times people worry about something that isn't a big deal and is just normal.

Reactions: 75aces

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,855 Posts
Valve train noises are more tricky to pin point. Since both cams have lots of moving parts. I summize that most of the noise is from the metal plate on the under side of the valve cover to be the one most suspected. Especially if the owner doesn't do their own oil changes.

The shops like to shove funnels in there and since it's thin metal, it bends down. Does it actually touch? I couldn't be certain as I've never seen one bent.

At the same token, it's how a Toyota sounds. Honda's have a tick-tick-tick after a certain amount of use. Toyota's don't make tick-tick-tick sounds. Not sure how to describe it.

But mostly, it's due to lack of maintenance or it's just a natural occurance in the end.

·
Registered
1999 Corolla CE
900 Posts
Same problem here. Heat shield came loose at around 40k miles on my 2012 and was making a rattlling sound everytime I gave it gas.My mechanic knew exactly what the problem was since he fixed at least a hundred 10th generation Corollas affected with the same problem.Fixed it for $30

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here. Heat shield came loose at around 40k miles on my 2012 and was making a rattlling sound everytime I gave it gas.My mechanic knew exactly what the problem was since he fixed at least a hundred 10th generation Corollas affected with the same problem.Fixed it for $30
Do you recall which Heat shield did he touch?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts