Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 n/a mr2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to toyota engines and I just acquire and 91 mr2 5sfe but the engine is not working. I want to swap the engine but from where I'm form in Texas the engine is verry hard to find. So I need to know what other engine can I swap for the 5sfe with out having to change the tranny and if I do what would be the best wy to go.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
5sfe engine was used in alot of cars. you can get them from camrys (92-??) and celicas (years i dont know), rav 4's, solara's (sp?). just rember to take the ecu for that engine when you take it also maybe the wireing harness as i think the later years they added one more sensor.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
5s.... 3s.... Different tranny?

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
The cheapest thing to do would be to put a 3sfe in. The 5sfe ecu and tranny will work for that motor. The 3sfe is much less performance though. Just order a JDM 5sfe. If you have a non-turbo (5sfe) putting a turbo (3sgte) in is anything but easy or simple.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Actually... the swap is VERY simple if you have a complete clip. No... 5sfe and 3sgte trannys are NOT the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The years for the celica 3sgte are '90-'93 for the MR2 swap.

I am 99% sure, but do some research yourself.

Check out totaljdm.com for 3sgte's. This is going to be my route.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Totaljdm doesn't.... and won't have any 3sgtes in. Better find another source. If they do happen to "get one in"... they will probably end up mailing you a b16 or something. Don't bother with internet places... find somewhere local so you can SEE the engine before you are stuck with it.

·
Registered
91 n/a mr2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was lucky to find a 2.2 engine here at a local junkyard and I would say in excelent conditions and the car is running strong but you know I want more power. What can I do to get more cause every where I look to seem to only have stuff for the 2.0 turbo?

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
^^save ur money for a 3SGTE instead...u will never make any decent power with the 5SFE.....aftermarket support for turbos is so readily available also.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone else had bad experiences with totaljdm.com? That really bites 'cause I like their prices. I would have trouble dropping 4k on a motor...........I would do it in a heartbeat, it's just hard to save.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Send an IM to the screenname Totaljdm on AIM... ask them if they have any 3sgtes in stock for an mr2. They will tell you... not at the moment... but we will in 4-6 weeks. ;)

·
Registered
91 n/a mr2
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so I guess I wasn't as lucky as I though. Well for now I guess that would have to do till I save money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts