Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2018 Camry Hybrid LE with the base audio system. I had quite a bit of trouble initially getting the Entune 3.0 app installed, logged in and (fairly) consistently working on both of our Android phones. Because of this, I'd rather not uninstall Entune to find out the answer to the following question.

Short version: Do I need the Entune 3.0 app on my Android phone and still be able to bluetooth call audio, Google Maps directions, music audio (Pandora, podcast apps, etc). through the car audio system?

Detailed version: I quickly uninstalled Scout GPS in favor of Google Maps. The streaming apps never worked really well, often loosing the connection while driving. (Curiously, the phone apps actually seemed to work better than the Entune apps). I added a VAIS Technology Sirius/XM adapter. So, our current use is
- FM and Sirius/XM using the adapter through the audio system
- Google Maps directions, Pandora and such audio and call audio through bluetooth to the audio system

Can I uninstall the Entune app and still do the above through the audio system?

·
6,654 Posts
Ok, you stream music off your phone and directions from same source. Right? basically, all you need is BT adapter for Aux - you do have Aux, right? and then just forget all that Entune nonsense. Considering how much gripe is out there about it.
$30plus Knivo adapter does all that. The only problem is you have to deal with 2 wires.

That is, in case, your head unit throws a fit and refuses to BT your phone after Entune uninstall. I doubt but who knows...
I know that cabled BT adapter is no high tech solution, but darn thing works so well... I had/have 3 of them.. besides, it's also pretty decent hands free function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Toyota customer help site lists the following apps as part of Entune 3.0:
iHeart Radio
Yelp
Slacker
NPR One
Fuel
Sports
Stocks
Traffic Incidents
Weather
Wi-Fi Sign Up

I have a Hybrid XLE with Sirius, HD traffic and weather support, and dynamic onboard navigation. I have a USB stick with all my music plugged into the dash, so I generally don't need to play music off my phone. I don't make calls while in the car, though I did do the Bluetooth hookup on general principles to get something like Google Maps audio through to the car speakers. So I'm basically operating without Entune at all times, though there may be some things going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of, like downloading small amounts of current map data automatically and without Entune running on the phone.

So I think the answer is personal to your setup, ultimately. If you bought a package with Sirius and HD and you're willing to put music on a memory stick and plug it in, it seems like the need for Entune decreases sharply.

I agree with your Scout Pilot approach - never install it and run it. It has a reputation for being incorrect, unreliable communications-wise, and a phone battery hog. My son has a 2018 without onboard navigation and we just drove 3400 miles in that car using Google Maps on a Samsung phone in a cupholder mount. It worked great for our purposes.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more about my setup. As I said, the base system audio without satellite, navigation, etc. The VAIS Sirius/XM add-on utilizes the USB input which means no music on a flash drive or other USB input. It would also eliminate Scout GPS with moving map if I was still using that. VAIS isn't perfect solution but it is integrated through the audio system and not an add-on display that has to be mounted & wired. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

With satellite our use of internet streaming has dropped to zero and we have no use for any of the other Entune apps. So, realistically, our use is:
- FM or satellite
- occasional phone calls
- occasional navigation with Google Maps
- occasional streaming of on-phone music using a phone app

Right now, the last three can be accomplished through bluetooth. My question is whether they can be accomplished without installing/running Entune 3.0.

DOH! I just realized I can take my previous phone that doesn't have Entune installed and try it. Whatever the result, I have my answer. At least this thread allowed me to think this through. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, Im new here.

I thought you couldn't use Android without Google Auto??? And you use Goggle maps also, how do you do that?

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key is mounting your Android phone where you can see it. See picture for my setup. My wife and I have the same phone with same brand of case so this works for us.

Once the phone is mounted, you can run any Android software you want. I run Android Auto which allows me to to use spoken commands to send / hear text messages, make / answer calls, call up directions via Google Maps, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes but you are still not connecting to the cars screen, which is the whole idea of having that infotainment system.

So to answer my own question, you can't use Android Auto in any way.

·
Registered
2018 Camry Hybrid LE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree to disagree.

True, it's not using the built in screen, which we all would like. But I am using Android Auto and Google Maps inside of Android Auto, just using the phone's screen instead of the built in. My wife doesn't use Android Auto at all. She puts her phone in the dash mount, starts Google Maps navigation and puts it drive.

Kludgey for sure but it's the best we can do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
According to Cnet and MacRumors, Toyota has released and upgrade for owners of 2018 Camry and Sienna.
THIS UPGRADE INSTALLS CARPLAY ON YOUR RADIOS!
According to those sites, these upgardes may be free although the dealer may charge to install them
Hopefully this is correct info, and if it is, entune will be as important as last weeks’ newspaper.
Good luck - I have the Carplay on my ‘19 and it gives much more flexibility than I would have hoped.

·
6,654 Posts
I can use Android Auto on my 19 RAM. I actually did for few weeks and uninstalled app. It is so clumsy to use that I simply place my phone on the instrument cluster "shelf", fortunately, it's huge, and that's it. Basically, all I ever need it for is nav, so why bother with wasting time on connecting etc.

But hey, it's me. Others might as well enjoy it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is it just Toyota ? do other car manufacturers have something for android ?
Yes, every single major car companies other than Toyota have Android Auto in their line up. Toyota's slow adaption is just unacceptable.
My personal phone is an android phone, and my company phone is an iphone. So I have tried both Carplay and Android Auto first hand, and Android Auto is better than Carplay in almost every way.
The biggest difference is Android auto can actually output at higher resolutions up to 1080p, so your google map does not have all the jagged edges from the 480p image carplay outputs. The infotainment screen in my 18 Subaru is 720p, and Android Auto looks significantly better, plus it integrates with my google assistant.

And this may or may not be something that is fixed already, but I cannot pinch to zoom properly in Google Map on Apple Carplay when I tried it, no issues in Android.

Also, in my Subaru since there are 2 USB ports talking to the headunit (Something else Toyota really needs to improve), in Android Auto, I can have the phone take over everything, including Nav, but leave my music playing off of my USB (higher quality than BT). In Apple Carplay, once it's connected, both bluetooth and USB are disabled. So if you want to listen to your music, and music is not on your iphone, you are out of luck. This is a moot point in Toyota anyways, since for whatever reason they decided to only have 1 USB port talking to the headunit..which is beyond annoying, because it means you have to unplug your USB if you want to plug in AA or Carplay...

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a 2018 Camry Hybrid LE with the base audio system. I had quite a bit of trouble initially getting the Entune 3.0 app installed, logged in and (fairly) consistently working on both of our Android phones. Because of this, I'd rather not uninstall Entune to find out the answer to the following question.

Short version: Do I need the Entune 3.0 app on my Android phone and still be able to bluetooth call audio, Google Maps directions, music audio (Pandora, podcast apps, etc). through the car audio system?

Detailed version: I quickly uninstalled Scout GPS in favor of Google Maps. The streaming apps never worked really well, often loosing the connection while driving. (Curiously, the phone apps actually seemed to work better than the Entune apps). I added a VAIS Technology Sirius/XM adapter. So, our current use is
- FM and Sirius/XM using the adapter through the audio system
- Google Maps directions, Pandora and such audio and call audio through bluetooth to the audio system

Can I uninstall the Entune app and still do the above through the audio system?

Actually better than my previous car a 2002 Altima SE! This is my 1st Hybrid Car! 2019 Carmy LE Hybrid! The infotainment is OK. What's more important is i'm getting 53 mpg and completely amazed considering my other vehicles 1997 BMW 540i! I stopped driving this one with a 12 mpg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts