Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting the Entune issues for a while. Entune would kick my iphone off so I had to reconnect the phone. Then if I remote start the car, 80-90% of the time when I got into the car Pandora would just spin endlessly. The best feature was trying to just get AM or FM to work while Pandora spun. I have never liked Scout, had it on my phone before getting this 2018 Camry and dumped it within 24hours. Stupid, useless app!

So finally I was able to fix the issues once and for all. Cheap to do also. When I get into the car now I just turn on my
XM radio, I have a 27 choices of music, news or comedy. A 1year subscription costs $99. Never fails.
For maps I use my Garmin GPS, cheap, large screen, with traffic, gas station and places to stop.

So there you have it. No more Entune, no more fighting and cursing. Oh also no more Toyota's for me. The treatment from Toyota is nothing less then none. Typical Asian industry... Never say no... just don't answer.
I use to sell industrial equipment, if I needed factory support from Japan they just never answered the inquiry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't used Entune once since I bought the car... I don't even use bluetooth except for calling. I use Waze for GPS on my phone, and Spotify... always connected through USB.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I must be a part of a very small percentage that doesn't have many problems at all with entune. I have a Galaxy S8+ and entune works fine with it. Doesn't matter if I have entune or maps running before or after the vehicle is started. I always plug it in when I get in the vehicle to have moving maps and charge it. Every once in awhile I'll get the entune download error but I just quickly clear app cache and everything is fine. Maps work fine in the background while streaming music and taking calls. I do know there are less issues with Android than there are with iPhone. Most of the problems I've seen on this forum have been more with iPhone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You are correct, ToycamXSE. Most of the issues stem from iPhone's. It probably has to do with Apple's strange rules. I have a Mac & Win laptops and the Mac has some of the oddest ways of doing things.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You are correct, ToycamXSE. Most of the issues stem from iPhone's. It probably has to do with Apple's percular rules. I have a Mac & Win laptops and the Mac has some of the oddest ways of doing things.
I just have a Mac with dual boot running windows 10 on the other end. Only cost $15 for a key and have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Toyota Camry SE
385 Posts
I have also seen a lot of complaints about Entune on here and I am always rolling my eyes at how angry people are. (I.E. it doesn't show album art when driving). Maybe it is because I have an LG G6 (Android) and it seems to mostly work fine. I also use USB for a flash drive with my music on it. It reads and plays the USB much faster when starting the car then any stereo I have had so far, and the Scout GPS seems to work mostly. Last night I was playing with it and it was navigating fine, except that it seemed slightly behind but it wasn't the whole time only for a couple turns. Sure, it needs an update to fix some stuff, but is that really a reason to avoid the Camry and get a different car? OR to dismiss the whole car because album art doesn't appear in drive? If it is a big issue with mostly iPhones, maybe it is because of Apple's restrictions and not Entune itself. Toyota is just more about testing before releasing so they are most likely testing/working on an update or something and won't release it until it is actually working better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have also seen a lot of complaints about Entune on here and I am always rolling my eyes at how angry people are. (I.E. it doesn't show album art when driving). Maybe it is because I have an LG G6 (Android) and it seems to mostly work fine. I also use USB for a flash drive with my music on it. It reads and plays the USB much faster when starting the car then any stereo I have had so far, and the Scout GPS seems to work mostly. Last night I was playing with it and it was navigating fine, except that it seemed slightly behind but it wasn't the whole time only for a couple turns. Sure, it needs an update to fix some stuff, but is that really a reason to avoid the Camry and get a different car? OR to dismiss the whole car because album art doesn't appear in drive? If it is a big issue with mostly iPhones, maybe it is because of Apple's restrictions and not Entune itself. Toyota is just more about testing before releasing so they are most likely testing/working on an update or something and won't release it until it is actually working better.
This is my first post on the subject. I wouldn't say I'm angry, but I feel like Entune 3.0 is a step backwards from what I had in my 2015 Camry XSE. I was involved in a car wreck, and traded the '15 for a 2018 Camry SE in November. This is my fourth Camry in a row, and it's the first time I've felt just a slight bit of buyer's remorse. There are thing I like about the new car, but Entune 3.0 isn't one of them.

Coming from the '15 Camry with a dedicated navigation system, I don't like Scout GPS much at all in the '18. I have an iPhone, so I suffered from the iOS 11.2 problem in which the phone wouldn't tether, so I went without moving maps until there was a fix. I didn't have much of a chance to use Scout GPS before that problem. Now that it's fixed, I have also noticed that it seems to lag a little. It can leave a little uncertainty about whether or not I'm making the correct turn. I used the nav system in my '15 frequently. I'm still playing around with Scout, but I could see myself just buying a phone mount and using a different app. That's pretty sad when a navigation system ("connected" or not) is listed as a feature on the window sticker of the car.

The lack of cover art while driving isn't a deal breaker. It's just kind of silly. The screen looks like something is missing when it's not there. If they're only going to give you cover art when you're in park, they should have just left it off completely and given us a better screen layout that excluded it.

Hopefully some of the other issues can be fixed. I'm having a variety of problems that just weren't there with the version of Entune in my last car. Sometimes when I start the car, SiriusXM defaults back to the preview channel (channel 1) instead the the last channel tuned. I've had a reboot or two. The entire screen goes black and goes back through the startup screen. I sometimes briefly lose my Bluetooth connection (and my music). More often than not, it all pretty much works, but it's frustrating sometimes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unfortunately I had Apple car play in my mustang and it kinda set the standard for all these platforms in the car. Then like the above mentioned it’s on the sticker I thought well ok not bad. Now after owning the car since August it’s def determined that Entunes sucks and they should have went with car play and AA since it works seamlessly in other brands.

So yes I will bitch about it cause Toyota is going up against Honda on this car. Why would you not have car play and yes if I would have seen how it worked fully before I bought the car - I would have said no and kept my mustang. But due to a layoff the mustang was not in the cards anymore.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla HB XSE
98 Posts
I posted in another thread about Entune issues in my SE bring resolved last month. I took mine to the dealership on 1/11 and they applied an update because the entire app suite was inoperable. Well, fast forward to today and it's doing the same damn thing! The app suite is grayed out again and my contact favorites aren't syncing automatically.

This is frustrating as hell.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is my first post on the subject. I wouldn't say I'm angry, but I feel like Entune 3.0 is a step backwards from what I had in my 2015 Camry XSE. I was involved in a car wreck, and traded the '15 for a 2018 Camry SE in November. This is my fourth Camry in a row, and it's the first time I've felt just a slight bit of buyer's remorse. There are thing I like about the new car, but Entune 3.0 isn't one of them.

Coming from the '15 Camry with a dedicated navigation system, I don't like Scout GPS much at all in the '18. I have an iPhone, so I suffered from the iOS 11.2 problem in which the phone wouldn't tether, so I went without moving maps until there was a fix. I didn't have much of a chance to use Scout GPS before that problem. Now that it's fixed, I have also noticed that it seems to lag a little. It can leave a little uncertainty about whether or not I'm making the correct turn. I used the nav system in my '15 frequently. I'm still playing around with Scout, but I could see myself just buying a phone mount and using a different app. That's pretty sad when a navigation system ("connected" or not) is listed as a feature on the window sticker of the car.

The lack of cover art while driving isn't a deal breaker. It's just kind of silly. The screen looks like something is missing when it's not there. If they're only going to give you cover art when you're in park, they should have just left it off completely and given us a better screen layout that excluded it.

Hopefully some of the other issues can be fixed. I'm having a variety of problems that just weren't there with the version of Entune in my last car. Sometimes when I start the car, SiriusXM defaults back to the preview channel (channel 1) instead the the last channel tuned. I've had a reboot or two. The entire screen goes black and goes back through the startup screen. I sometimes briefly lose my Bluetooth connection (and my music). More often than not, it all pretty much works, but it's frustrating sometimes.
Stuart_H, I'm with you on the Entune issues. But regarding XM defaulting to the preview screen. I have a free standing XM radio, have had it a few years. When I park the car in the garage and pull it out the next day it will default back to the preview channel. I think its a SiriusXM issue.

·
Premium Member
2018 Toyota Camry SE
385 Posts
I don't deny that some of the stuff is frustrating but sometimes I get annoyed seeing so much about it, haha. And yes, I do realize that is what most people use these forums for but still... I would definitely like my album art to appear when moving. This bummed me out at first because I worked so hard to make sure all my music had it embedded into the tag/info so that it would work via USB flash drive and now it doesn't even matter. I think after seeing that it wasn't so much Toyota as it was a NHTSA thing that will maybe work its way into all cars, I was less annoyed. I am hoping for an update to make my scout not lag as it did the other night and maybe some work around for the album art thing. I would rather it take a little longer though if it means they are testing new updates to ensure everything is fixed versus just throwing a quick patch that might break something else. I have seen complaints about the Accord's infotainment system as well, but that includes multiple reboots and distorted audio so I would rather the music part work first, and for me it does. Here is to hoping that they just include AA/Car play in a future update! I also came from a 2012 so it might be a step up coming from just basic audio to any kind of infotainment system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stuart_H, I'm with you on the Entune issues. But regarding XM defaulting to the preview screen. I have a free standing XM radio, have had it a few years. When I park the car in the garage and pull it out the next day it will default back to the preview channel. I think its a SiriusXM issue.
That's a possibility. I just never noticed it happening in my previous vehicles. It's doesn't happen frequently enough to be more than a minor inconvenience. I've discovered that the voice control works pretty well in the '18 Camry for quickly changing the SXM channel to something else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been fighting the Entune issues for a while. Entune would kick my iphone off so I had to reconnect the phone. Then if I remote start the car, 80-90% of the time when I got into the car Pandora would just spin endlessly. The best feature was trying to just get AM or FM to work while Pandora spun. I have never liked Scout, had it on my phone before getting this 2018 Camry and dumped it within 24hours. Stupid, useless app!

So finally I was able to fix the issues once and for all. Cheap to do also. When I get into the car now I just turn on my
XM radio, I have a 27 choices of music, news or comedy. A 1year subscription costs $99. Never fails.
For maps I use my Garmin GPS, cheap, large screen, with traffic, gas station and places to stop.

So there you have it. No more Entune, no more fighting and cursing. Oh also no more Toyota's for me. The treatment from Toyota is nothing less then none. Typical Asian industry... Never say no... just don't answer.
I use to sell industrial equipment, if I needed factory support from Japan they just never answered the inquiry.
I can top that. My Grandpa had the Notune. I remember when he ordered his 1973 Buick LeSabre - WITHOUT a radio. Grandma was SO pissed at him.

·
Official TN Member from Ontario, Canada
128 Posts
After uninstalling and reinstalling the app for the upteenth time since December 2017, the Entune system finally worked as it should for all of TWO consecutive days. Connection was seamless, Slacker played without issues, and Scout was performing decently (they even got rid of the nuisance of "Dr" being pronounced correctly as "Drive" instead of "Doctor"). My joy was short lived. On day 3, the app would not connect despite disconnecting and trying to reconnect a number of times. Another uninstall and back to using Waze and satellite radio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts