Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have followed the directions to the T and the stupid thing will still not update. I am using the USB port with the correct file, but it keeps popping up with the message that I need to insert an update stick with the correct files. I HAVE!!! I am very tech savvy and can build a freaking computer or completely reformat a hard drive and reinstall everything, including drivers, and can't get this dang car to update. Is there a trick I don't know? Is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
39 Posts
It didn't give me much of a problem. Make sure you put the iso file on the flash drive (at least 2gb or greater). Turn on the car. Hit the apps button, then insert the drive. It should then ask you to do the update. If it doesn't then I'm not sure what's going on.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
You don't necessarily need to hit the apps button. Just make sure you allow the system to boot up fully and insert the flash drive into the USB port. I would do this while the engine is running. Make sure that the SWDL.ISO file is the only file on the flash drive and that the drive is formatted correctly. The SWDL.ISO file is 312,104 kb uncompressed. If your file size is different after unzipping the downloaded file from Toyota's website than it may be corrupt.

This is from the website's FAQ:

We recommend obtaining a blank USB flash drive with the following minimum specifications, a) Storage Capacity of 2 gigabyte b) Communication format: USB 2.0 c) File format: FAT 16/32

Beyond that you may try disconnecting the car's battery to see if you get your system back otherwise you may need to bring it in to the dealership.

NOTE: Could one of the moderators please add this thread to the existing thread on the new Entune update? It would make it easier for everyone if all the info on this update was in one thread. Thanks - BoltsFan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the proper software on a 2GB stick and it still isn't working. When I start the car, I get the message "In software update mode: Please insert a valid software update stick." It appears that it is caught in a loop. I am going to unhook the negative battery terminal for a while and see if it defaults back to normal operation, then attempt a fresh install of the update. This is absolutely ridiculous! I have followed every instruction to the letter and this stupid system is not cooperating. Maybe I should try standing on my right foot while I insert the USB drive. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it to work! I had the zipped folder and the extracted file on the same USB stick and when I deleted the zipped folder it worked. Apparently it couldn't find the .iso file with the other folder in the way, even though it was in the same directory. I'm updated! Now if only they could get all functions to work with the iPhone, I would be completely happy. (I know that's an Apple issue and not Toyota.)

I downloaded the file at the location below:

https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/toyotaHeadUnits

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
I got it to work! I had the zipped folder and the extracted file on the same USB stick and when I deleted the zipped folder it worked. Apparently it couldn't find the .iso file with the other folder in the way, even though it was in the same directory. I'm updated! Now if only they could get all functions to work with the iPhone, I would be completely happy. (I know that's an Apple issue and not Toyota.)

I downloaded the file at the location below:

https://securedp.toyota.com/download-app/toyotaHeadUnits

Glad to hear you resolved your problem. I had a feeling there were other files interfering which is why I mentioned you need to ensure that only the SWDL.ISO file is the only file on the flash drive.

As a note to all there are detailed instructions in a PDF file on the same web page as the software download link:

https://securedp.toyota.com/static/toyota/pdf/SoftwareDownloadPortalQuickStartGuide.pdf

Make sure to read this first as it specifies downloading the zip file to a directory on your PC such as the DOWNLOADS folder then unzipping the file and copying over only the SWDL.ISO file. Also some flash drives come with backup or optimization software pre-loaded which you should deleted or just reformat the drive to make sure that it has no files on it prior to copying over the SWDL.ISO file.

·
Go Bolts!
1,143 Posts
Where can i get the download for Entune 3.2?

The lastest version of Entune is 5.1. The download link that people have provided in only for older model multimedia systems that do not have the facility to update Entune over the air via a smartphone such as the 2012 Display Audio w/Entune and nav system.

If you have a later model Camry than you should see if your system updates itself or contact Toyota Customer Service to verify how your system will be updated. Attempting to use the software on the download link for a newer system will likely cause problems as I have verified with Toyota there are different versions of the Entune software depending on the multimedia system you have.

You should refer to this thread which thoroughly discusses the new Entune software update:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-7th-generation-2012/1183874-new-entune-update.html#post9840634

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm now in the same boat. I started the process, it got going, then it went to the "insert update stick" message, even though the stick that got the process started is in the USB drive. That is the ONLY thing on the drive. Anybody figure this out? Or figure out how to exit "system update mode"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I even erased and reformatted the flash drive multiple times, then put the file on there - the ONLY thing on the flash drive, and yet to no avail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SUCCESS! Instead of using an 8GB flash drive, I found a 4GB one and tried that. That did the trick for some odd reason. So smaller is maybe better?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Older computers, with smaller processors, could not address (or "see") a volume larger than 4Gb. The older vehicles are the same way. They can read the directory and know there is the proper file present, but then are unable to actually read the file itself.

I also solved the problem by using a 4Gb device. I had an old SD card from my camera and a USB adapter for it. That worked like a charm.

Toyota should update their instructions to specify a USB stick of 2Gb - 4Gb, but no larger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts