Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big bummer.

I finally got around to cleaning the head block that I took off not too long on my 83 toyota truck, and I found that coolant holes at the front and rear of the block had eroded edges - probably the source of my headgasket problems. I guess this is called cavitation? What causes this? This was suppose to be new a head installed by a shop in January 05. Can this be repaired or is the head basically toast? Where I can buy a good one if needed?

I am so bummed.:sosad:

Kyle

·
One with the farce
3,139 Posts
You can have it resurfaced, but be sure it's done by a surfacing machine that has carbide inserts, not the stones that are ok only for iron heads. Makes it all shiny too.

·
Registered
905 Posts
actually its called ..........electrolysyss........ usually caused by the coolant turing acidic . I doubt the head is "new" ..... maybe a new/used one . Antifreeze should be changed every 3-4 years , depending on miles you put on it . system should be completly flushed , and NEW antifreeze installed .

head can be repaired , depending on the damage ... we use to have it welded , then machined back in the old days , but now the heads are cheep and plentifull .... I would look for a good used one , in your area , ... I infact have one in my shop .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. i'll check out the auto machine shops in my area...hopefully it wont be too expensive and sources for used heads...and weigh my options.....can a headgasket blowing cause the cavitation? thats what some guy said at work.

·
Registered
905 Posts
NO .

NO question .... it is the antifreeze .

I have seen one so bad , that it had eaten away the impeller on the watter pump .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts