Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing an issue with the cruise control on my 07 V6 Auto. It will maintain set speed fine most of the time, but occaisonally on hills it will accelerate as much as 10 mph over set speed when going UP a hill. This usually happens after the trans. downshifts. I know that if I waste my time going to the dealer I will get the "could not duplicate" BS. Has anyone experienced this or been able to get a fix?

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
normal. it sucks and is embarassing for sure.... its like the truck can barely make the hill....which we all know it can!!!

some have tried HIGH octane gas and they say that helps the cruise from dropping gears like that.

another thought might be that the computer that controls your truck is used to you using your cruise on flat terrain and you threw it for a loop when there were hills involved. do you use cruise on hilly terrain often...... you may want to reset your ECU.

were you pulling a trailer or something else? if so, you should be in 4th gear and try to keep it to 60mph or so.

·
My Other Truck
4,213 Posts
Some guys claim theirs works just fine, but not mine. It's about the only thing on my '05 DC that I hate... it is absolute crap and Toyota should be ashamed. Dealer says it's normal and I should just pull it into 4th if approaching a hill. BS. I have owned many vehicles with CC and none were remotely as bad as the one in my Tacoma. A slight... very slight.. incline will cause it to go crazy, open the throttle, downshift 2 gears, go like stink up to several mph over the setting, then upshift and slow down.... NORMAL MY ASS!!! :censor:

Oh sorry, I got a bit carried away there. To answer your question, yes it is normal. Get used to it. ;)

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
it is something with the tacoma model though... my 4runner of the same year with the same engine and automatic doesn't do that.... it is as smooth as warmed butter on a hot tin roof.

·
Bus Driver
08TacoRegCabBase5spd
407 Posts
yeah ive attempted to use the cruise control a couple of times on my dad's doublecab...its normal...i agree the cruise control flat out sucks.

would downshift at a grade....and if i go over a pretty decent hill it'll downshift twice :disappoin

so yeah...stick with you gas petal...

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
The cruise control should NEVER go above set speed regardless ...you should have that looked at by the dealer.

If you can replicate it *on purpose* everytime....then drag a service tech with you and show them.

Erratic shifting is one thing.... but ...it should NEVER go above set speed. That's a safety issue.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Another reason sticks rule, and autos suck.

Oops, wrong thread, I'll get my coat.:lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
On a moderate even-slope hill, it will start to lose speed in 4th. It downshifts, accelerates VERY hard, overshoots the target speed by 1 or 2 mph. Immediately reduces throttle, upshifts to 4th, starts to lose speed & repeats the cycle as many times as the hill is long. Manually downshifting to 3rd at start of hill until the crest will prevent the cycling, cruise will maintain speed. On these hills, I would have been downshifting the 2.7 without the cruise on.

On a steeper hill, it will downshift 2 gears, accelerate wildly, cruise has to be immediately canceled. It doesn't need to be downshifting 2 gears here, downshifting just one would be enough to maintain.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On a moderate even-slope hill, it will start to lose speed in 4th. It downshifts, accelerates VERY hard, overshoots the target speed by 1 or 2 mph. Immediately reduces throttle, upshifts to 4th, starts to lose speed & repeats the cycle as many times as the hill is long. Manually downshifting to 3rd at start of hill until the crest will prevent the cycling, cruise will maintain speed. On these hills, I would have been downshifting the 2.7 without the cruise on.

On a steeper hill, it will downshift 2 gears, accelerate wildly, cruise has to be immediately canceled. It doesn't need to be downshifting 2 gears here, downshifting just one would be enough to maintain.

Cruise control doesn't operate below 4th gear in my truck.
If I come to a hill where I know the truck is going to be hunting for a gear, I'll click her into 3rd, which shuts off the current speed setting, and drive it myself.
On the the open flat areas, the computer drives more economically any human ever could...hills are a different story.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but is it controlled by vacuum? And if so, is there a vacuum canister on these vehicles? I had one which didn't like hills. It would slow down, sometimes downshift, and eventually kick-off. Turned out it was losing vacuum so a canister was added. This is just a metal canister with two tubes tied to the cruise control system. Never had another problem. FWIW (which may be nothing :))

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but is it controlled by vacuum? And if so, is there a vacuum canister on these vehicles? I had one which didn't like hills. It would slow down, sometimes downshift, and eventually kick-off. Turned out it was losing vacuum so a canister was added. This is just a metal canister with two tubes tied to the cruise control system. Never had another problem. FWIW (which may be nothing :))
:)
In the old days they were vacum controlled.
I think the computer does it nowadays.:thumbup:

·
Indigo Taco!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
66 Posts
this happens to me all the time when driving up to snoqualmie pass.... set the cruse at 70(the speed limit) when its flat stays fine for a while then it starts to get hilly... BAM im going 80-85 and i didnt even press anything...

something to get use to... YAY

did scare the crap out of my parents tho ... ops :lol:

·
The Thread Killer
Taco DC 4X4 SR5
781 Posts
My 05 did the same thing, small hill, down shift and go like Hell. My 07 works like it should.

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,100 Posts
My 05 did the same thing, small hill, down shift and go like Hell. My 07 works like it should.
This and my comments below illustrate that it is not normal.

The CC in my '05 has never done the "downshift twice" or "accelerate 10 MPH over the set speed"! It is not normal if it's happening on your truck. Something is definitely wrong! Nor has this ever happened on any of the other Toyota we own (or have owned in the past).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have no issues with my cruise control, it works as expected. It never shifts down on a hill, even when towing. :lol:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

This does sound pretty bad to me, and definately not normal if it is as bad as described here.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally decided to waste some time and take my truck in for the cruise control issue where the cruise will accelerate sometimes as much as 15mph above set speed when going uphill. I asked that they check for any applicable software updates that might improve or eliminate this issue. When I picked up the truck I was told verbally that this is normal and that this is stated in the owners manual. Nowhere in the manual does it state that the cruise may sometimes accelerate the vehicle to 15mph above set speed while holding the throttle close to full throttle. I can stop this from happening by cancelling and resetting the set speed when it first begins to accelerate, after doing so, the cruise will behave for the rest of that uphill section of road. The written response from the technician on the repair order states :
"Normal operation, cruise control uses many inputs to maintain constant speed, all those inputs change when going uphill or downhill"
WTF does that mean? the issue is that it does not maintain constant speed. It appears that this was pencil whipped without any real checkout.
I have seen other posts about this issue, has anyone else had this resolved?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts