Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
My 07 Sienna 87K miles has the check engine and VSC lights on. With my OBD reader it comes up as P0022 and P0024 (camshaft position sensors). Everything i read talks about dirty/cheap oil etc. I only used synthetic from new so not sure how this can be the case. Anyhow is this repair doable by a DIY and where should i source the parts from?

So I removed both Bank 2 Sensors last night and cleaned them with Brake Kleen, mineral spirits and a few other items laying around. I also lubed them up with wd40. I move the actuator with a small screwdriver to make sure the solvent got into every spot. I put 12V to both solenoids and they both actuated back and forth just fine. I blew compressed air and brake kleen into the chamber where they came out of on the intake cover just in case there was any debris. I added Marvel Mystery Oil to the 2K oil. Reassembled everything, Cleared the codes and went for a 10 minute drive watching the Drive Cycle Widget on my Torque App.
The Solenoids were kinda gummy but still moved fine before i cleaned them and much better afterwards.

The Pending codes showed P0022. I need to drive it more to see if if that code becomes permanent and the P0024 comes back as well.

Are the Solenoids on Amazon from China and work ok for $30 or Rock Auto has a variety for @ $60-80. Or do I have to order from Toyota?

I removed the 2 front most Camshaft Position Sensors and they were really gummed up. So I cleaned them and reinstalled and cleared the codes and took it for a drive. Drives fine but Torque shows P0022 and P0024 as Pending faults now. I can only assume they will turn into logged faults with a little more driving. Car runs fine now. I bought a bottle of Liqui Moly engine flush and will give that a shot and change the oil when it comes from amazon in 2 days as I could not find it locally. I would remove the VVT oil screens but cant find any decent write ups on where and how to do it. I guess my next step will be purchasing 2 VVT Oil Solenoids from Amazon and see if that makes a difference. I would take it to a mechanic or dealer but from all I have read, they dont have great success fixing this issue either.

So P0022 = A Camshaft Position - Timing Over Retarted (Bank 2)
& P0024 = B Camshaft Position - Timing Over Advanced or Systme Performance (Bank 2)

Does anyone know if these are related issues?

Just came back from running some errands and the check engine, VSC and Trac lights are back on. Checked codes and P0022 and P0024 are there.
Funny thing is the van drives fine but I "think" i can notice the VVT not kicking in when i depress the accelerator. The Engine downshifts but there is not as much power at hand as before... just something I noticed...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Synthetic isn't a solution if engine is coming up on temp, if PCV flow is poor, if engine is short tripped often, if interval isn't proper for driving style,...

Change the PCV valve. Change the oil/filter more frequently, use a quality oil filter, and use an oil additive that can clean.

While you're at it, make sure engine is running fine... clean throttle body, clean intake port valves, sparkplugs, air filter, thermostat/cap, injectors oil level kept to the full line.... and stick with premium/super toptier fuel.

Nothing in my 150k 2gr-fe is gummy or gummed up. Are you DIY or dealer/indie serviced?

Use a higher detergent or high mileage synthetic oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info I did not think of the PVC nor spark plugs.

I only use Synthetic from day one. Walmart Supertech Full Synthetic 5w30 and the fram filter cartridge every 7K miles. Van not driven on highways much much daily commute is 10 miles each way.

I bought Liqui Moly flush and shoudl arrive in two days from amazon. I will do a flush and then fill with fresh mobil one and Marvel Mystery Oil and new filter and then do another flush in a month to see if that helps. I just ordered new VVT Oil Solenoids from PartsGeek 2 for Bank 2 $69 total. Just in case.

I just wish i knew where those dang oil screens were located as I would clean/replace them as well, but i can not find anything definitive on the net about them om the 2007 3.5 Toyota engine, frustrating!

Thanks
Vinny

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,385 Posts
OP- is your VVT oil control line have a rubber section.
If so could may have deteriorated enough to impede oil flow.

Have seen pictures of VVT oil filter inline with the oil control line connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Oil line was replaced during a recall but not sure if they replaced it with another rubber line or all metal line, I will check that tonight.

My Van is worth @6K so its definatly not worht putting 3K into it for a dealership to fix it.... really disappointed with Toyota right now.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,385 Posts
Understand there were some mechanical problems with the cam phasers also.
If true in your case, not worth a dealer fix for sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I am replying to my own posts but i want to keep a running log so it may help others.
Tonight i took off and cleaned both CCT Oil Solenoid filter screens. They were easy to get to and only took 15 mins total. They were dirty but not that dirty or sludged up. Pics below.
Some one in another forum at Toyota Nation recommended I check the PCV valve, I did and it was solid sludge shut coroded. I sprayed it with some WD40, Brake Clean and liquid wrench, no luck SOLID. So I took a small phliips and tapped the plunger diaphram with a hammer and got it free and then let it soak internally and cleaned it up. and now it moves freely, and reinstalled.
I also cleaned the rear Camshaft sensor (the one i could reach easily)

I took it for a 10 mile drive and no lights yet but i think i returned home too soon. We will see after tomorrows commute to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
2,385 Posts
Thanks for the update.
Stuck closed PCV would sludge up the oil.
Lets us know the final outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know I am replying to my own posts but i want to keep a running log so it may help others.
Tonight i took off and cleaned both CCT Oil Solenoid filter screens. They were easy to get to and only took 15 mins total. They were dirty but not that dirty or sludged up. Pics below.
Some one in another forum at Toyota Nation recommended I check the PCV valve, I did and it was solid sludge shut coroded. I sprayed it with some WD40, Brake Clean and liquid wrench, no luck SOLID. So I took a small phliips and tapped the plunger diaphram with a hammer and got it free and then let it soak internally and cleaned it up. and now it moves freely, and reinstalled.
I also cleaned the rear Camshaft sensor (the one i could reach easily)

I took it for a 10 mile drive and no lights yet but i think i returned home too soon. We will see after tomorrows commute to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having a similar issue. Always used Mobil 1 synthetic from the very beginning. Currently have about 150k on van. Runs great, no power issues. Also, just had a tune up at toyota about 3 months ago.
Then this popped up. Will check PCV valve on mine. Also, just did oil change and added the MMO oil.
Engine had developed a recent tick like a lifter. I think this may be related to sludge in the engine..Please update if you were able to fix issue. Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have 252K on my 2007 sienna XLE and no issue, everything is original except starter went out at 200K
i do change oil at 5K, 4qts regular and 2 qts synthetic. every 15K change air filter, clean PCV and drain refill trans. fluid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts