Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help here guys. I have a 96 v6 le (1mz-fe) I am planning (very soon) on having custom headers and y-pipe made. At the same time I am going to slap on a hi-flow cat. I already have a 2.5" custom hayame exhaust and a rs akimoto intake (buying an aem cai soon). I also have denso ik20's and vitek cables. From that alone what would be the gains be like, I want to make sure its a worthy investment at this time.

The shop who will be performing all of the custom fabrication will be http://www.midnightperformance.com in the sacramento area.

As soon as a save more money I am going to purchase a rebuild kit and rebuild with a p&p, bigger injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines etc (getting ready for a turbo or two). Also would it be worth it buying an MSD 6-a ignition?

thanks for the help (gotta get back to work)

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
There is no way to tell.
There are a billion ways to make a Y-Pipe and if it's not done correctly, just like a bad port & polish job you will loose hp. There is also no way to estimate a hp gain.

I say you get 5hp max from the headers, and a high 18hp, low of 10hp from the y-pipe.

You're probably loosing a small amount of HP loss from the akimoto intake. The AEM intake is pretty, but if you don't want to pay $150 for shiney metal, you can get a great intake sound, and the same power by cutting out the bottom of your stock air box.

If your ignition system isn't faulty the MSD isn't going to get you anything at all. Save that $$$ for the turbo project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts