Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Scion XB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I currently drive a 06 Scion and it is time to pass it over to my wife and get myself a Tacoma.

However, I was concerned about the E15 approval and wrote to Toyota about it and the official answer is that 2011 Tacoma (actually the verbige was "Toyota vehicles") is not designed for E15 and usage of E15 will void warranty and may cause damage. I called to make sure and the answer was the same and in addition, Toyota doesn't seem to have any remedy for existing vehicles at the time for the future when E15 becomes the norm.

E15 is expected to arrive at the pumps in TX in 2011 Q1 and if this follows the gasoline to E10 pattern, E15 will become the norm within 2 years.

If I buy this truck now, I will be SOL in about 3 years.

I am confused and can't figure out what to do.

Any opinions out there?

Thank you,
John Kalyoncuoglu

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
According to those selling this line of bull (our illustrious government), E15 is 100% compatible with today's vehicles.

·
Registered
Scion XB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You think it is bull?????

here is the email reply from Toyota pasted below, let me know and I will forward you the email.
------------
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 7:06 PM
To: Kalyoncuoglu, John
Subject: 2011 Tacoma Engine on E15 fuel [Incident: 101015-000071]

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
2011 Tacoma Engine on E15 fuel

Discussion Thread
Response (Tom Morita)
10/18/2010 05:06 PM​
Dear John K,

Thank you for contacting us.

We appreciate your interest in properly operating your Tacoma.

Toyota vehicles are not designed to use E15 fuel and use of that fuel could cause corrosion on some metal components in the fuel system. Further, using E15 as a fuel source may impact the Limited Factory Warranty of your Tacoma.

Please follow the fuel requirement guidelines set forth in your 2011 Tacoma's Owner's Manual.

Thank you again for your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Thomas Morita
Toyota Customer Experience
Customer By Web Form (john K)
10/15/2010 08:02 AM​
•Is 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl. engine designed to use E15?
•Will issues arising from usage of E15(as described in my previous mail below), if they do arise at all, be covered under Toyota warranty?

[---001:000838:17746---]

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
** Merged **

·
ALSO AVAILABLE IN SOBER
7,457 Posts
I wasn't attacking what you were saying... I was saying that the statement that all vehicles would be fine on E15 was a little suspect.

Even so, I'd bet that current and future models will be just fine... or somebody will have a TON of explaining to do. I personally do not like even using the E10 we are force fed here in Texas.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
From my understanding E15 will be optional to use, and stations should have normal fuel/E10 along side it.

Unrelated to this, but I think this is also an attempt to kill two stroke motors for good. Mine hardly run with E10, can't imagine they'll work at all with E15.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
From my understanding E15 will be optional to use, and stations should have normal fuel/E10 along side it.

Unrelated to this, but I think this is also an attempt to kill two stroke motors for good. Mine hardly run with E10, can't imagine they'll work at all with E15.
So there will be an extra button or pump for e 15 and a separate tank for it? Who will pay for it? I imagine it will probably be 5 cents or so cheaper than e 10 gas.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
So there will be an extra button or pump for e 15 and a separate tank for it? Who will pay for it? I imagine it will probably be 5 cents or so cheaper than e 10 gas.
Yep. Separate button. And try $2.66/gal. Friend's pic and his car. NOT MINE.

·
Registered
Scion XB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

Hello all,

I have been talking to the dealer today and they confirmed Toyota's official position but they added that "if" E15 becomes the industry standard(I bet it will, just like E10 did), they will stand behind the truck and do whatever necessary based on past experience.

However, when I asked this in writing, they didn't want to do it.

Under the circumstances, I canceled my order and ask my deposit to be refunded.

Man, I was ready for that red Tacoma, what a shame!!!!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
22,790 Posts
Hello all,

I have been talking to the dealer today and they confirmed Toyota's official position but they added that "if" E15 becomes the industry standard(I bet it will, just like E10 did), they will stand behind the truck and do whatever necessary based on past experience.

I wouldn't change my mind on something that may happen next year or down the road. E10 will have to be available for a while just like leaded fuel was around for what seemed like forever. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello all,

Disagree since Toyota states that the fuel system components are only able to handle up to 10% ethanol before system corrosion starts to set in. I know Toyota like to stand behind its products, but is clearly states in the owners manual to not use more then 10% and i don't think Toyota is gonna foot the bill to change out fuel pumps and injectors at the minimum for an optional fuel. Buy a flex fuel veh if you wanna run this.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Hello all,

It can't become the industry standard, since it's only rated for 2007+ and newer vehicles. Any vehicle with rubber/neoprene connections to the fuel pump can suffer from accelerated deterioration.

Also, ethanol is electrically conductive, whereas gasoline is not, so any uninsulated terminals or wires going to the fuel pump need to be insulated as ethanol can corrode these connections and kill fuel pumps not internally insulated as well. My MR2's fuel pump has uninsulated eyelet terminals, so anything above E10 is no-go for me. Besides, I'm not trying to have my in-tank hoses fall apart after just changing the hoses and pump recently.

Most new Toyota vehicles use all plastic fuel pump connections now. They no longer use a rubber/neoprene coupler hose, so they're actually safer to use higher mixes of ethanol than older vehicles.

·
1MZ powered MR2
1991 MR2
1,065 Posts
Supposedly the EPA is currently testing whether it is safe to use in cars from years 2000 to 2006.
It'll mainly depend on design, which makes it very difficult to say it's safe for all 2000+ vehicles.

But, most manufacturers stopped using rubber coupler hoses on their fuel pumps in the early to mid-1990s. Still though, it doesn't address the fact that increasing ethanol content increases electrical conductivity in the fuel. Corroding the insides of the fuel pump is a risk, but moreso with higher concentrations.

·
Premium Member
14,754 Posts

:lol: you suck at it then, I have ZERO problems getting any of my 2 stroke engines to run on E10. carbs have jets for a reason and you can rejet or adjust them. heck, you can adjust the oil mix to change the a/f ratio slightly too. little more oil makes them a little leaner mix, little less makes them a little richer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep. Separate button. And try $2.66/gal. Friend's pic and his car. NOT MINE.

"Enriched". Yeah, right.
Using that "enriched" CRAP has prompted me to rebuild all the carbs on my lawn and garden equipment at least twice, replace the entire fuel system on the Mule (which is now waiting for another carb rebuild), and all but the plastic fuel tank on the Boss Lady's GT5000 garden tractor.

And it corroded and killed the fuel pump on my Dodge Ram pickup a couple months ago.

"Enriched". May as well "enrich" with sugar and water.

·
Registered
2005 Echo Hatchback
355 Posts
Funny the 89 octane is "enriched with up to 10% ethanol" and the e20 "contains 20% ethanol", I wonder just how much of that UP TO 10 % is ethanol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts