Toyota Nation Forum banner

Evaporative Emission Control System

2252 3
P0440 - The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the evaporative emission control system.

P0441 - The PCM has determined that a purge flow in the evaporative control system is incorrect for the current engine operating conditions.

P0446 - The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent control in the evaporative emission control system.

For the past few months, I've gotten each of these OBDII codes 3-4 times. From what has been explained to me, this basically means that there is a leak somewhere in the EVAP system.

The O-ring in the gas cap looks ok. What steps should I take to determine what the problem is without taking this to a shop for testing? And could there be more than one leak?

My car is a 2000 Camry (2.2L / 4cyl) with over 210,000 miles.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
1,401 Posts
All 3 of those evap codes together means a gross evap leak and usually it’s a loose gas cap, BUT, when checking the air filter, the line going to the canister closed valve vacuum switching valve on the side of the air box sometimes comes loose.

Toyota also issued a TSB covering all 3 codes for your model year. They developed an updated canister closed vacuum switching valve.

· Where are we going today?
Camry 00/Corolla 19
2,652 Posts
check ur cables and hoses.
i replaced mine and the whole 9 yards cos of the same codes.
search for my ID and you will see what I did.
Changed EVAP and charcoal canister

They found out later that it was a hose that was lose in the engine bay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.