Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First dealer had a salesmen that tried to get me in a bidding war with another customer, I complained to management and then the same salesman tried to physically intimidate me standing outside managers office arms crossed glaring at me, I point this out to the manager and she says "yeah that's creepy".

OK< went to another dealer, this one was real friendly, tried to charge me $3000 for predator steps $1600 for blackout stickers and $500 for a 3rd party alarm that had pretty low ratings, told them I just want the truck, they said "well we add all this by default". So I left.

3rd dealer I bought a car from rav4 hybrid, 7 miles on it, drove it off the lot (after buying it) and the dash starts throwing various errors. Take it back to the dealer they said no problem it just need calibration, OK why wasn't that done before you called me to pick it up? Dealer gets upset by this question, so I wait while they "calibrate" 45 minutes, finally go corner the manager and ask where's my car? "Oh we have to keep it we can't find the problem yet". OH and no one bothered to tell me? Dealer got mad again at that question.
So I got my old truck back and my money back and left.

This all seems odd to me, but I haven't bought a car in 20 years so maybe this is the norm.
Any way, dealer won't return my txt or calls now.
I guess I'm a problematic customer shrug

That's it wanted to vent and wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
2013 Camry XLE
2,850 Posts
Ever have a dealership refuse to sell you a car?I
I haven’t, and it sounds like you didn’t either. By what you posted, you refused to buy what they were trying to sell you. You had your reasons and they are valid, but they didn’t refuse to sell, you refused to buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ever have a dealership refuse to sell you a car?I
I haven’t, and it sounds like you didn’t either. By what you posted, you refused to buy what they were trying to sell you. You had your reasons and they are valid, but they didn’t refuse to sell, you refused to buy.
My fault I didn't explain it very well, after all of the above they won't return my calls or txt, i take that to mean they don't want to do business with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had good luck dealing with the "Internet department" at a Subaru dealership. It was not a local dealership so this made sense to use, but the main effect was that I got to lock in the deal without having to go there. Once it was done I flew in and (thankfully) they did not try to jerk me around or change anything. The car was ready and bob's your uncle.

This happened to be Capitol Subaru in Salem Oregon. No clue if this is still "a thing" or not, but worth looking into for you local dealers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had good luck dealing with the "Internet department" at a Subaru dealership. It was not a local dealership so this made sense to use, but the main effect was that I got to lock in the deal without having to go there. Once it was done I flew in and (thankfully) they did not try to jerk me around or change anything. The car was ready and bob's your uncle.

This happened to be Capitol Subaru in Salem Oregon. No clue if this is still "a thing" or not, but worth looking into for you local dealers.
I appreciate the advice, I figure if I'm buying a hybrid, toyota is the go to, I wanted another tacoma but with gas the way it is the hybrid rav4 seemed to offer MPG and similar room as the truck.
My buying experience 20 years ago was much better than it is today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the advice, I figure if I'm buying a hybrid, toyota is the go to, I wanted another tacoma but with gas the way it is the hybrid rav4 seemed to offer MPG and similar room as the truck.
My buying experience 20 years ago was much better than it is today.
Yup, makes sense. FYI, I just checked my local Toyota dealer and they do have a "Chat" option. That might be how you get to the "internet department". It might be that the chat function is not handled by the regular sales jerks. But it all depends on how they run their business. They might also be using the chat function to lie to you until they can get you in the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, makes sense. FYI, I just checked my local Toyota dealer and they do have a "Chat" option. That might be how you get to the "internet department". It might be that the chat function is not handled by the regular sales jerks. But it all depends on how they run their business. They might also be using the chat function to lie to you until they can get you in the door.
I saw that chat function but it appeared to be a bot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First dealer had a salesmen that tried to get me in a bidding war with another customer, I complained to management and then the same salesman tried to physically intimidate me standing outside managers office arms crossed glaring at me, I point this out to the manager and she says "yeah that's creepy".

OK< went to another dealer, this one was real friendly, tried to charge me $3000 for predator steps $1600 for blackout stickers and $500 for a 3rd party alarm that had pretty low ratings, told them I just want the truck, they said "well we add all this by default". So I left.

3rd dealer I bought a car from rav4 hybrid, 7 miles on it, drove it off the lot (after buying it) and the dash starts throwing various errors. Take it back to the dealer they said no problem it just need calibration, OK why wasn't that done before you called me to pick it up? Dealer gets upset by this question, so I wait while they "calibrate" 45 minutes, finally go corner the manager and ask where's my car? "Oh we have to keep it we can't find the problem yet". OH and no one bothered to tell me? Dealer got mad again at that question.
So I got my old truck back and my money back and left.

This all seems odd to me, but I haven't bought a car in 20 years so maybe this is the norm.
Any way, dealer won't return my txt or calls now.
I guess I'm a problematic customer shrug

That's it wanted to vent and wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
Pfft. These were predatory moves! Regardless of the last time you bought a car, there is no excuse for predation and incompetence and intimidation on the part of a dealer. If the salesman blocks your way again and is so domineering like that, take a video of him and share it with the world, with the story attached. No one should have to stand for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At this point I'm wondering why dealers even exist, seems it would be easier
Pfft. These were predatory moves! Regardless of the last time you bought a car, there is no excuse for predation and incompetence and intimidation on the part of a dealer. If the salesman blocks your way again and is so domineering like that, take a video of him and share it with the world, with the story attached. No one should have to stand for that.
Yes, several times since I have regreted not videoing that as it would've made a great youtube video.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The bully's worst moment is when he's outed. When the light shines brightly. What a loser. Hopefully it will happen soon. Also trying to get two customers in a bidding war... best scenario would be, both customers leave in disgust and they lose the business. What a bunch of creeps you encountered!

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I was looking to buy a RAV4, a local Mazda dealer tried that nonsense with me. They had a used RAV4 Hybrid without a window sticker and wouldn't tell me the price until I drove it around the block and all of the nonsense. After I finally, pinned the salesman down, he came with a price that was $4,000 USD over what a new vehicle MSRP. I walked out immediately. The next day, the salesman called me and said they had another person looking at it and now the price was $1,000 USD higher over what he quoted me the day before. I told him to pack sand. Two weeks later, the dealership had marked down the vehicle $1500 USD from what they originally quoted me when I saw it listed for the first time on Cars.com. A month later, that had taken another $1500 USD off. I think it was a week after that the listing disappeared. Sad part is, that I would have actually considered purchasing the vehicle $1,000 over MSRP due to some of the post delivery addons the previous owner had done. Anyways, a local Toyota Dealership that had me on waiting list, had a cancellation and offered the unbuilt vehicle/VIN for me for sale at MSRP. So it worked out, just the whole transaction with the Mazda dealer left a dirty taste in my mouth. But to be honest, when my wife and I first got married, she owned a Mazda 3. The Mazda Dealer we visited, which is the only one in my county, had the worst Service Department know to man. The vehicle came in for a simple recall involving the ABS module, yet the Service Department wanted to do nearly $1,000 USD of unnecessary work. I almost had to jump over the counter to get me keys back. Once the Mazda's Transmission failed at a far too early age of 68,000 miles, we parted ways and never set foot in a Mazda dealer since the last visit to look at the RAV4.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unfortunately, for now, it is a seller market ... and I do business (read: reward) with people that treat us frank, all of the car internet managers that I have been dealing with for the last 10-15 years are getting some amount, not a whole lot, and I do not expect them to meet me after church and ask me how my family !!!😄

I would walk away from those who trick you, and treat them accordingly: life is too precious to get bonked down to their level because they know they can and they want to rip you off ! we are not -that- kind of people, right ?!.

Explore, buying out of the area, but also be reasonable, I would not be hagging over a couple of hundreds, but if they play me, then -never- come back, what is the old saying :
First time, shame on you
Two times, shame on me !

Good luck brother, and go get the car you want, at the price you want.

EV-

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

We did the same thing when we bought our 2010 Corolla. We told the internet Sales Manager all the options and price we wanted and after we both agreed we wen't and got our car with zero miles on the odometer. At the dealer, the finance dept still tried to add stuff, but it was out of the discussion, except for extended warranty that served us well. We signed the contract, put money on the table and drove home happy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts