Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that my rear wheels have excessive brake dust on them. Is there any reason why my rear brakes would be giving off more dust than my front ones?

I have white wheels, so that makes the difference more noticable, but it's way too different between the front and back. I'm running OEM Toyota pads on a 96 4cyl 4wheel disc camry.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It could be a faulty proportioning valve sending too much pressure to the rear calipers. Some are adjustable, not sure about yours though.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
a good thing to do to help prevent brake dust buildup on rims.....apply a thin coating of wax on ur rims....this makes cleaning them off so much easier too....

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MRQturbo said:
a good thing to do to help prevent brake dust buildup on rims.....apply a thin coating of wax on ur rims....this makes cleaning them off so much easier too....
I don't mind cleaning my rims...it's only seven spokes, and since they're white, it's easy to see what I've missed... but that's a good idea..I think i'll try it next year.

I never paid attention before, but does brake dusting only cover one side of the spokes? I don't mean like outside and inside...but i mean like the leading edge of the spoke as the wheel turns forward... the trailing edge of the spoke is nice and clean, but the front is so dark... and looked at the wheels again...man...the rear wheels are a completely different colour than the front ones... brown vs white...literally...:eek: :confused:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Use a synthetic, or acrilic wax on your wheels.
two part Klasse with 2+ coats of sealant glaze will last longer than anything else you'll find. It's great stuff and All In One AIO first part is a great cleaner.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I noticed my rear wheels get dirtier faster than my front.
But I don't think anything is f'ed. Its just the way that everything that gets kicked up off the front gets sucked back into my rear wheels. It catches most of the dirt on the front edge of the spokes, just like you said.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amerikim said:
I noticed my rear wheels get dirtier faster than my front.
But I don't think anything is f'ed. Its just the way that everything that gets kicked up off the front gets sucked back into my rear wheels. It catches most of the dirt on the front edge of the spokes, just like you said.
Well, this just happened in the past month or so that the rear wheels are more dirty... In the past, the fronts always were dusted faster. It would make more sense that the fronts get dirty faster since they do 80% of the braking anyways?

But maybe it IS just dirt that's kicked up from the front... I have started working in an industrial area lately...

·
Registered
1987 Corolla SR5/GTS
47 Posts
More brake dust on the rear wheels is pretty normal, my VW Golf III has 4 wheel disc brakes and there's always more dust on the rear wheels.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
I would check your rear pistons and see if they're seized.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts