Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the HKS Hi Power exhaust on my 05 camry 4 cylinder Le. I was thinking to switching to the TRD Full Catback exhaust. Any thoughts on performance, sound, reduced backpressure?

The HKS is pretty decent but I feel that I lost HP after the install a year ago. Will the TRD Exhaust regain those lost HP?

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
?? What's your setup now? Just the muffler or did you upgrade the piping too?
Muffler and the mechanic upgraded the piping saying it is now a full catback. So the piping is bigger than stock pipping.

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to dyno the car before and after installing your new exhaust and compare numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
oh wow. HKS hi power is huge on a 4 cyl. i should know, i had one lol. I'd rather get the TRD one.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh wow. HKS hi power is huge on a 4 cyl. i should know, i had one lol. I'd rather get the TRD one.
So you had an HKS on your camry? What made you change it? Is the TRD as loud as the HKS?

·
"Everyone Lies"
camry 5gen
2,033 Posts
if they made the piping too big
you are losing back pressure
which is the loss of power you feel.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Camry
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have the TRD. I have a vibrant.

I switched out the HKS because of the cops. If I get popped, i'm dead.
Honestly i am tired of the HKS it is way too loud sometimes. my eardrums are always bleeding everytime i take a ride on it. Plus I am tired of losing too much power. tell me i am wrong when I accelerate i feel i have to give an extra push with my feet to bring it up to speed.

I think the HKS hi power is way too heavy. compared with teh TRd exhaust how much does it weigh?

·
Touge Star
2000 Toyota Camry LE
2,691 Posts
wat was ur arguement???
Basically a long argument stating that I was in compliance with VC 27150. I also had the papers from the referee station as evidence to support my claim.

Honestly i am tired of the HKS it is way too loud sometimes. my eardrums are always bleeding everytime i take a ride on it. Plus I am tired of losing too much power. tell me i am wrong when I accelerate i feel i have to give an extra push with my feet to bring it up to speed.

I think the HKS hi power is way too heavy. compared with teh TRd exhaust how much does it weigh?
You never told us the size of your current cat-back piping, but from what you've stated, my guess would be that it's too large, hence the loss of low end power/torque. You also said it's very loud and that is often the case with larger piping. You could probably change the piping to something of smaller diameter or go with the TRD cat-back like you said. I don't know the specs of the TRD one, but I would assume it would be quieter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts