Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im kinda new at this but I want a louder (CA Legal) exhaust sound. Do I need an "exhaust" or an "intake" or both or do I need something else? I have a '05 XRS. I want something that sounds GOOD, nothing crappy and cheap, and of couse, CA LEGAL.

Any recommendations on BRANDS, TYPES.????????

ALSO---any suggestions on wheels/tires. 17's or 18's? Chrome or Racing Alloy(?)...reg. silver or BLack rims? I want it to look nice. :)

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
Sorry to hear that you want to mod your car in California. Too many dam rules. I would check and see what exactly the rules and regulations are first, because I'm betting that most, if not all, aftermarket exhausts and intakes are illegal, just from what I've heard. I would either go to wherever you take emissions tests or the DMV or something and ask what is and what isn't legal. Or you could just get whatever you want and say fuck the police.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well california is a little stricter than most states but not to the point that you cant do any mods. Look for 50 state emissions legal stickers and or the C.A.R.B. exempt sticker. Also a c.a.i. or short ram intake provides louder deeper sound and if your worried about smog keep stock airbox and you can have your car pretested for smog usually for 25 dollars and in case you fail the results do not get sent to sacramento so its not on your dmv record, which if you get a kit with emblems as mentioned above there should not be a problem passing.

·
'10 XRS (05 & 09 XRS RIP)
2010 Corolla XRS
1,570 Posts
Call Toyota Customer Service. Ask them to verify in writing with something (letter, box cover, DOT#, sticker, whatever) that the "TRD exhaust" is CA-Legal. Keep that with your car in case you get harassed by 'da Pol-eez.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
The AEM and TRD CAI for the 03+ Corolla is carb legal as well as the TRD muffler. They sound nice. I think 17s are better for the Corolla unless you really want the bigger wheel look, then you will probably have to roll your fenders if you run 18s with lowering. As for the type of wheel for performance forged alloys are best. If you like the look of Chrome prepare to sacrifice some performance for the weight. As for color tell us what color the car is or post a pic and we can see what wheels might look good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts