Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello y’all! This is my first official question! I would like to know if an upwards facing turbo exhaust manifold designed for an AE86 or AE100 would fit my AE92. Bolt pattern looks the same but what about spacing, exhaust port fitment and all that. I’ve included a pic of what I’m talking about. Only reason I ask is I’m on a budget and the manifold that’s made for an AE92 is twice the price! (That is, if it’s not just a mistake because it’s on a cheap website like eBay or Ali express that says it’s for my car and is actually for a fifth or seventh gen Corolla).
Product Font Automotive tire Auto part Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,367 Posts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
Hello y’all! This is my first official question! I would like to know if an upwards facing turbo exhaust manifold designed for an AE86 or AE100 would fit my AE92. Bolt pattern looks the same but what about spacing, exhaust port fitment and all that. I’ve included a pic of what I’m talking about. Only reason I ask is I’m on a budget and the manifold that’s made for an AE92 is twice the price! (That is, if it’s not just a mistake because it’s on a cheap website like eBay or Ali express that says it’s for my car and is actually for a fifth or seventh gen Corolla). View attachment 354683
I would inquire with a muffler shop to see if they can work within the space. Then look online at vibrant performance to see if you can get a flange for the new intake manifold.

It's a gamble for sure to buy a cast piece especially when you consider fitment.

It will cost a bit more, but the muffler shop can fab it to work in the space.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would inquire with a muffler shop to see if they can work within the space. Then look online at vibrant performance to see if you can get a flange for the new intake manifold.

It's a gamble for sure to buy a cast piece especially when you consider fitment.

It will cost a bit more, but the muffler shop can fab it to work in the space.
Turns out vibrant doesn't sell exhaust manifolds :( I'll see if I can find confirmation a Celica manifold will fit a Corolla with the same engine

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
Turns out vibrant doesn't sell exhaust manifolds :( I'll see if I can find confirmation a Celica manifold will fit a Corolla with the same engine
The flange they sell. Not the intake manifold. The flange is used to mock up and then pipes will be setup

·
Registered
1989 Toyota Corolla CS (AE92)
99 Posts
The engine bay of the 6th gen is quite tight–mine has a 1.6, and the engine is quite snug in there. I'm more of a supercharger person so i'm not 100% sure of the little details of installing a turbocharger, but I know you've got to route some pipes for the turbo. You'd probably have to route the pipes around the right side of the engine, above the transmission.

Although... a turbocharged 4A-FE sounds pretty cool. I don't know if the cylinder head can take boost though. The 4A-FE was ultimately designed for economy (hence the F, unlike the 4A-GE). The intake manifold would be less free-flowing. I remember watching a video of a guy turbocharging a second generation 4A-FE a while ago, I recall him lightly grinding out the intake ports to remove the rough surface. I don't know, it's been a while since I saw that video.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,305 Posts
If you do most of the work yourself, a turbo 4A/7a is possible. The main issue is lack of aftermarket support. Long gone are the days of the big and small port 4age. 20v is still around, but command a lot of money for some crazy reason.

The smart money is to do a mod-resto with a 2zz-ge or even a 3sgte. Or maybe even a 1zz. These have more available parts over the 4A/7A.

13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you do most of the work yourself, a turbo 4A/7a is possible. The main issue is lack of aftermarket support. Long gone are the days of the big and small port 4age. 20v is still around, but command a lot of money for some crazy reason.

The smart money is to do a mod-resto with a 2zz-ge or even a 3sgte. Or maybe even a 1zz. These have more available parts over the 4A/7A.
I oughtta delete this thread actually, I think I want to build a high power 4AGZE instead, billet internals and lots of boost. Only problem is only car I really know has RWD that will fit 4A is ae86 and they are probably not cheap. Lots of support though. I'll look into those engines you listed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.