Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 camry coupe LE 2.2L

My current exhaust system has tons of rusted holes, so i'm about to make a custom exhaust...heres some questions.

1. If I replace the resonator, cat?, and other resonator with a straight pipe, would this negatively affect anything (besides emissions)?

2. I have 2" and 2.25" pipe available...which would be better? (2.25 for more flow but would 2 keep more low end)

3. Are there any headers available for my car?

4. and lastly, does anyone have dual-outlet exhaust setup on there car? I don't know if duals would look good on a camry.

thanks in advance for the help

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
please search- this stuff has been beaten into the ground for the past 4 years. Also read the FAQ under the general camry section...

1. I dont believe it will affect performance, but it will be loud as hell.

2. 2.25" pipe would be best on a 5sfe

3. Boal and Ripp both make headers for the 5sfe, but I dont believe either are still in production.

4. You may think duals look good on a 5sfe, but they serve no purpose other than adding farts- it will most likely actually hurt your performance.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i meant header not headers...and it would just be dual outlet exhaust, not true duals (for looks but i've never seen a dual exhaust camry so i dont kno if it will look good)

5sfe...that's the 2.2L 4cyl right?

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
correct...

and if you want to get picky, ripp and bosal both make a header, not headers, for your engine:lol:

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yea...i looked around and bosal makes one for 92-94 camrys *94 w/o cat on manifold...how can u tell if the cat is on the manifold

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
i think only the california cars have cats on the manifold...

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so will it screw anything up if i remove the cat/resonators then?

and does anyone have pics of dual exhaust on a camry?

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks...that looks nice. I'm going for that subtle look. I dont want dual fartcannons and such

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I think that actually looks really good, I hate those ricer civics with the 5" muffler/tip on the back, especially if they are on crappy <2L I4's :p

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
the duals wont look good. the gen 3 has a cutout in the bumper for the exhaust. it will look stupid unless u patch that or make one on the other side that looks the same. u could also get a dual exhaust rear bumper with a body kit. also id recomend a borla muffler. its one of the quietest u can get and it sounds deep. lastly i wouldnt remove the cat. id replace it with somthing highflow u can get universal highflow cats for pretty cheap these days. i believe if u remove it the computer will trip a code and revert to safe mode(car runs really rich and slow).

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the exhaust is leaking from the cat, a resonator, and another hole in the exhaust. I really dont feel like spending money on a cat. I have a flowmaster 40 series to go on it (leftover from another project)...I dont care if its loud, I just want it to be a good loud (which will be unlikely for a 2.2L.

wouldn't it be better perf wise if the engine was running rich?

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there two identical indents in the rear bumper, but one has a tow cable and one has the exhaust exit (or am I getting this confused w/ my saturn, I'm at my dorm right now)

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
ur confused. look at the bumper in this pic. ull see that there's a gap for the exhaust on the right but not the left. there is a cut out under the bumper on the left but the exhaust is actually molded to fit.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2720594890083819728lUtqcF

if u do duals then ull have to do somthing about that for it to look any good. personally, i think the car looks better with single exhaust, but thats me.

as for the performance. more fuel is ONLY better if u have more air with it. lots of fuel and little air only wastes gas and causes the car to bog durring acceleration. trust me, if tripping an engine code gave us better performance, we'd all be doing it. oh and that flowmaster should sound pretty good, a budy of mine has a civic with one and its not too bad, not loud at all either.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i had an olds 307V8 that i took the cat off and it ran under WOT...and it performed a lot better but i guess thats a completely different engine.

but yea I guess I'm going to go 2" pipe to the flowmaster (somewhere after the axel) and single outlet exhaust...and removing the resonators, and I'll prob leave the cat until i can find a replacement. The flowmaster is 3" inlet/outlet so it looks like I'll have to pull a rice move and have a 3" tip

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
well a car does run better with out a cat but gettin around the engine codes is the trick. mustang guys i know use things called milliminators when they run catless H-pipes that basically send the right info to the ECU tricking the computer. 3 inch aint bad either, itll be smaller than u think after its on there.

·
93 240sx SR Hatch
1999 Solara
6,575 Posts
I would personally go with 2.25" pipe, but if youre just using whats laying around go for it

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no i have 2.25 pipe too, I would just need to buy an extra adapter (I already have like 5 2" to 2" adapters). I also want to keep some of my low end anyways, I'm already going to remove all the resonators and put a flowmaster on so i dont want to get rid of all my backpressure.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
well the res is pretty straight through design and the flowmaster will add back preassure if anything cuz of how its designed. ya know, come to think of it, i had a flowmaster on my last V6 camry and ill be damed of it wasnt faster than mine is now with out a muffler(still have the cat and res though). maby ill get another one and put it back on.

·
Learn to Swim...
96 Camaro, 94 Camry
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've never seen/heard a 4 cyl w/ a flowmaster...it will be interesting to see if it sounds good. I have one on my 3.8 V6 and it sounds like a V8 (also have headers & hiflo cat too) but I hope it gives a deeper tone...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts