Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
COROLLA!!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my vehicle in to get looked at. Exhaust is in good shape, aftermarket 2.5" piping with high flow muffler, i'm satisfied. I'm getting a resonator and magnaflow cat. I've freed up part of my budget and I'm looking to throw down about a grand but need to know where to go from here because guy said it was stupid for me to do headers and down pipe :( I feel dumb now

So, I got intake, exhaust, resonator, cat..... I need a little bit of direction on where I should go from here, if someone doesn't mind

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
u have an S or Xrs?

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
www.ppeengineering.com has a full race header for Xrs models. Their headers are praised by most of if not the entire corolla/matrix community as the best out there. They are a tad pricey but the quality is top notch, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
COROLLA!!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sweet! I had been looking at them but wasn't sure. The guy said not to do headers because it might end up hurting my car if anything. Would you recommend the air injection tube and the ceramic coating?

And one last question, I heard I might need an aftermarket down pipe (is this the air injection tube?) going from headers to cat, is this true or do headers connect right cat??

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
air injection, I'm pretty sure, has something do do with emissions so I would say not necessary. if you got the cash to get 'em coated then by all means, do it, better exhaust thermal efficiency. PPE has a downpipe available for like 230 or something like that which will go all the way back to your muffler, you can order them with a cat or without and also with a resonator or without. Again, if you've got the money for it, I'd go all out on it, get the header, ceramic coating, ( no air injection), PPE downpipe with cat and resonator (don't wanna sound ricey do ya?). I calculated it and all that comes out to well over a grand sooo... yea. if you're dead set on only a grand or less you could get the header from ppe and have an muffler shop make you a custom midpipe with whatever cat converter and resonator setup that you wanted, with an O2 sensor bung too of course. but that wouldn't really be ideal since you'd be going from a mandrel bent PPE header to a crush bent midpipe. I find myself rambling...

·
Registered
COROLLA!!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a little bit of research on the mandrel bent pipes. Does it really make that mouch of a difference?? If so I might just redo my exhaust with ppe from headers down and see how that works. Any idea about how it's all rated as far dyno testing and such in gains after install?

·
PCSR-US NAVY
05 Corolla XRS
26 Posts
why do you call it a downpipe. that is the piece of pipe that comes off a turbo to the exhaust. you are talking about the midpipe. but i talked to the guy at PPE and he said if you do not get the air injection tube it will throw a CEL. it wont hurt anything but you will have a CEL. so i would recomment getting the air injection tube so that there is no CEL. i think its funny also how everyone makes header plural. we only have just one header. I am about to buy the PPE header and midpipe for my car. and once they get done with the designing of the new IM. ill buy the IM and CAI from them as well. before anyone says anything i know that you need a tuner of some sort to get their CAI. thats what apexi PFC is for

·
Registered
COROLLA!!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My mistake for the misuse of some terms and such if I did in fact butcher that oh so horribly, long day at work.... Please forgive
On another note, I did not know you need a tuner of some sort for a CAI. I purchased my vehicle with one already installed, hoping whomever did it had someone had a shop tune it or something cuz there is no device that came with the vehicle.
And call me stupid, cuz you might just lol. But what's an "IM"?

·
A Sloppy Mechanic
2005 Corolla LE
896 Posts
IM= Intake Manifold. there's a new one in production for the Xrs that supposedly has made about 30hp gains

·
PCSR-US NAVY
05 Corolla XRS
26 Posts
most CAI's you dont need to tune your car. but if you get PPE's CAI you will have to. PPE is in the process of designing a new intake manifold for the 2zz as well

·
Registered
COROLLA!!
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DAMN!!!! Spensive LMAO, I wouldn't mind the gains but I would rather pick up the hydra ems for that price and drop my lift engagement. I also hope PPE will be cheaper lol

·
PCSR-US NAVY
05 Corolla XRS
26 Posts
hopefully the PPE will be cheaper. redliner9k is keeping an update on the other corolla forum. do you know the name of the it? its just for the 9th gen. i am going to go for and NA 2zz beast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts