Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few simple questions. I searched here already and didn't get the answers to all the questions I needed so here goes:

What amperage is ideal for MIG welders to work on exhaust systems?
What is the best type of tubing for exhausts?

Basically I'm looking for a small MIG welder for the weekend warrior. Nothing too fancy but I'd rather have all of my homework done before I invest in anything. Anything else I should look into?

·
Registered
1994 Camry V6 LE
94 Posts
well if you really want to know about your systems, first thing i would try would be to head down to your nearest muffler shop and check out what they do, and what they use... most use flowmaster or magniflow mufflers, and usually go direct and buy flowmaster piping as well... don't quote me on that but the best thing to do is go to the professionals and shop around for best pricing.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MIG isn't my biggest concern as I could always buy a larger unit and then control and fine tune it. I'm trying to figure out what the ideal tubing is for exhaust. I've been looking at some 304 stainless steel. Hopefully others will chime in and share their knowledge as well.

·
engineer in training
1,586 Posts
phew here we go

OK, the simplest welder to go with is a cheapo ebay flux core wire feed welder, every muffler shop around here uses flux core and it will last a good while (usually 5+ years when you get the technique) I just bought a 125 amp flux core welder for 100 shipped off ebay, it works great. Also check out Lowes outdoor section for some metal post tubing, it is $12 for a 12 foot section and it does not rust, it comes in mutiple sizes and the $12 is for 2.5 inch pipe. Speaking of which the flux welds will rust no matter what you do, dont sweat it if you have the will to make your own exhaust you have the will to fix it a while down the road. :)

Edit: heres a little more info on different welder types, a cheap welder will last a while, but if something breaks generally its cheaper to just buy another one, the more expensive a welder and a name brand will usually mean it lasts longer and comes with a warranty and support later down the road.

you can guy a gas welder, a wire feed welder, or a combination. The combination usually comes with a gas adapter you can buy to do real mig welding. As far as the differences mig welds and flux core welds go, the gas is used as a shield againt the air we breathe and will help prevent the weld from rusting. Instead of using gas a flux core has whats called flux in the wire that shields the weld when the arc is started, but not as well as gas will, so the weld tends to rust a little and you end up with slag and spatter around the weld that makes it look not so good. When you get good enough you will end up with less slag and spatter. personally since the exhaust is under the car I dont care to use flux.

Hope this helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.