Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not recommended, I gather.

what other stuff can I add to make it perform better.

how about a K&N filter, or cold air intake.

fuel injector cleaner?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I found the K&N filter improved performance specifically when my air conditioner was on. From day 1 the car would be sluggish with the air on. After putting the filter in, taking off from the line was improved, my gas mileage improved slightly and high speed accelration was better.

I have done a lot of reading on filters before I put it in, some say they do nothing others say they do. I believe it likely depends on your situation (i.e. the way you drive, were you live and the type of car) as to how much of a difference you will see.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Flashmn: 1st - long time no see, how ya doing?
2nd - would it harm stainless steel severly too?
Could you have steel treated somehow to prevent it from emitting.
There is a process which's name i can't remember, used on planes, where steel is coated with something, ends up looking black if i ain't mistaken.....

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Flashmn: 1st - long time no see, how ya doing?
2nd - would it harm stainless steel severly too?
Oh I'm just fine :)

- I dunno about stainless, stainless sucks in turbo manifolds tho, they tend to crack easy.

There is a process which's name i can't remember, used on planes, where steel is coated with something, ends up looking blac
Ceramic treatment, I think they called it jet hot or jet black, something like that.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Paint the header with manifold paint before you warp it. Clean out all the old paint and rust first.
Ceramic coating is the best to keep engine bay cool but its costly.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Paint the header with manifold paint before you warp it. Clean out all the old paint and rust first.
Oh that wont help at all... the paint will burn off pretty much
instantly..

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Flashmn said:
Oh that wont help at all... the paint will burn off pretty much
instantly..
I've seen it done before, but I admit it didn't last long, turned black and came of after a week. Maybe better prep was needed.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
yeah, idiots do it, I mean heck it glows red on full blast acceleration, you think ANY paint will last on it?

...nope

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Hey they claim to be high temp ceramic paint. Mine didn't burnt off. Idiot will use regular paint. Even Pacesetter is idiot, their paint burnt off in first day.

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Yeah one would think that High temp ceramic paint if good Enough for the engine, would be good enough for a manifold?

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Flashmn said:
Youd think the manifold is alot hotter than the engine... :rolleyes:
your right there, typed before thinking make one stupid!

Well here's another source, I work at a steel foundry and the qupula( spelling off), the huge bowl that hold the melted steel, It's lead, painted and definitely a lot hotter than a manifold off of any car. I know that paint isn't like supermans sweat, you can get it locally, they use the stuff every day. Last I heard it was a ceramic based paint, just don't paint your self they say, doesn't keep flesh from melting!

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
Flashmn said:
Yeah and the process of painting it is alot different than a rattlecan high-temp paintjob.
didn't say it was spray paint. Dude, just admit it, there is a right way to do it!:D

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
cal1ga check out this thread,

Here is a guy wanting to paint the heat shield for his exhaust manifold. If you want answers here's somewhere to start. Plus ask some of the guys who have already painted theirs.:thumbsup:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t47854.html

·
Registered
1991 Celica GTS
125 Posts
read the thread , they've already painted the manifold too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts