Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my exhaust pipe rusted in half, right where it bolts up to the muffler. The muffler still seems solid, so I'd like to retain it, in spite of its stupid 90º angled inlet.
Where can I find a pipe end which will mate up to the muffler? The inlet is too small to really attempt any alternative means of connecting to it.

I don't have a battery powered sawzall, so cutting off a piece at the junkyard is not feasible - although I suppose I could rent/borrow the cutter from Autozone...

Anyone have any suggestions on how to replumb to my muffler, using bits from the McParts store and without spending much?

On my old '90 Corolla, when the muffler inlet rusted off, I flipped the muffler around 180º and connected the outlet/tailpipe to the exhaust, and just had the flat end of it sticking out under my bumper...

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wait, let me answer this:
I looked at the muffler again, and saw that there was enough length on the inlet, to cut it and slide a flex coupler over it.

Once I cut it, there was no more forward hanger, so I resorted to a coat hanger.

This is the bend in the mid-pipe, which angles to meet the 90º muffler inlet. Notice how it rusted out and split along the seam. And the seam is exactly on the top of the pipe. How convenient.

Luckily, the flex pipe reached from what's left of the mid-pipe to the muffler.

I added another coat hanger to support the rear of the mid-pipe, and I double-wrapped it, so don't nobody be saying nothing about the quality of my work...:D

It's nice having a quiet car again, but I can't hear the awesomeness as well, now. Exhausts are another one of the few weak points on these cars, and the rust belt really accelerates their demise.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'll try to remember to snap some.

Yikes, I drove my Corolla right under that bridge which collapsed on I-75 about 2 or 3 hours before it came down, coming home early from work. Then I drove past it going to, and coming home from, the McParts store within probably 30 minutes of the collapse. Scary.

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
My exhaust remains in great shape despite MUCH more salt than Cincy gets!

I also have a spare I snagged from pull-a-part years ago. If you want I can snag one for you too. PM for details.

Glad that bridge collapse wasnt any worse than it was!!

-SP

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised:

That's a rust hole in the end of the passenger side "frame rail."

Rear owner-fabricated hanger looped over the muffler heat shield. Front one goes through the fuel tank strap.

Let's face it. I bought this car to not spend money on it, or worry about cosmetics. It's all function, here. My daily driver gets ridden hard and put away wet, and I spec'ed Toyota, because I'm confident that a Toyota would give me the least amount of crap over my driving habits.

If you don't like this repair, you're not going to like what I've got planned for my fuel filler tube. I forgot to mention it before. Yet another problem which manifested this past fall. I guess that that tube gets a double whammy, inside and out, between the corrosive de-icers on the road and the ethanol in the gas. I never heard of filler tubes rotting out, until the last few years.

Reactions: 97tacomaHA

·
Just play along....
corolla
3,384 Posts
Filler tubes rusting out have been a problem since the 80's.

Try and get someone from Atlanta, GA to snag you one at one of their pull-a-parts. It will definitely last the cars lifetime! :)

-SP

·
Im not important
68 Posts
I would be worried about exhaust gettin into the car, your work looks good but are you willing to bet your life on it. I had an exhaust leak in a 93 corolla once and i didnt even know it and it almost killed me. That exhaust system is not expensive, dont take chances with your life to save a little money.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
As promised:

That's a rust hole in the end of the passenger side "frame rail."

Rear owner-fabricated hanger looped over the muffler heat shield. Front one goes through the fuel tank strap.

Let's face it. I bought this car to not spend money on it, or worry about cosmetics. It's all function, here. My daily driver gets ridden hard and put away wet, and I spec'ed Toyota, because I'm confident that a Toyota would give me the least amount of crap over my driving habits.

If you don't like this repair, you're not going to like what I've got planned for my fuel filler tube. I forgot to mention it before. Yet another problem which manifested this past fall. I guess that that tube gets a double whammy, inside and out, between the corrosive de-icers on the road and the ethanol in the gas. I never heard of filler tubes rotting out, until the last few years.
explain to me the science behind the ethanol mentioned and rotting inside the filler tube!?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
are you saying that ethanol in the fuel did this to the inside of the toyota filler neck tube?

·
Registered
1997 Corolla
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It probably contributed. Ethanol attracts water, and water causes rust.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It probably contributed. Ethanol attracts water, and water causes rust.
so those that use ethanol blended gas in AZ,CA and other non winter salty states will also have rotty filler tubes on the inside?
the special coating does not protect much in the long run for these tubes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts