Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a muffler/exhaust system that has some sound to it. I have 2 1/4 inch exhaust with a 40 series flowmaster on my 22R. But it is WAY WAY to quiet. Any suggestions on a muffler/exhaust tip or anything to give my little Yota a little bigger voice?

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Bout the only thing louder than that is no muffler. Have fun.

·
Fageddaboudit!
08 Tacoma Ac 4cyl4a
167 Posts
Castis said:
The only thing i have on my truck is a catalytic converter... no mufflers... sounds badass..
Did removing the muffler give you any extra power? Is it still quiet enough to get past the constable? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
it gives i guess somewhere around 3-4 hp... it still passes inspection, as long it goes all the way back to the spot where the origonal pipe(s) go to. here in Va it has to be full length...

·
Fageddaboudit!
08 Tacoma Ac 4cyl4a
167 Posts
Castis said:
it gives i guess somewhere around 3-4 hp... it still passes inspection, as long it goes all the way back to the spot where the origonal pipe(s) go to. here in Va it has to be full length...
Thanks Castis. I'll remember that when my original muffler finally goes.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, there are two types of flowmasters. Original, and delta flow. I'm gonna say you have the delta flow, it's designed to have less interior noise. I got a Delta flow, with 2 1/4 pipe on a 1990 4 cyl Toyota, and it sounds nice. I can't believe that you can't hear it though. But there are certain things you can do to the pipe to make it sound louder. If you end the pipe right after the muffler, and have it face down (towards the ground) it will be A LOT louder than making it exit to the side. On our '90, it exits the driver side, and at a diagonal towards the ground so it's a little louder.

On my '04, I have the original series, exiting straight out the side, and it's perfect for me. Easy to hear even with the windows up, but not so loud it get's old fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got a magnaflow car and dual muffler on my 00 tacoma and i like the sound not to loud but not very quiet eather. had a deep toan to it also.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the origional 40 series. And i have fixed the problem. The previous owner of the trucks said he had a new cat put on it not too long before i bought it. But it turns out it had been a LONG time since it had been changed and was kinda plugged up. I removed it and replaced it with a piece of 2 1/4 pipe like the rest and wow, my little Yota has a big voice now. Now while i'm on the exhaust subject, does anybody know of a place to get a decent header for my truck for a decent price??

·
Trailer Trash Engineer
592 Posts
Get a new cat and put it on. No reason to polute the air more just so you can sound good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts