Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to buy a Highlander. A reviewer had these comments below on the 8-speed automatic transmission. Did anyone have similar experiences? Thanks so much.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/la...port-2017-toyota-highlander-article-1.2803209

"The new V6 engine supplies plenty of power, but the new 8-speed automatic transmission makes it hard to discern the added oomph. Even with the Eco driving mode turned off, the 8-speed displays a tendency to upshift sooner rather than later unless you really mash down on the accelerator, such as when getting up to speed on a short freeway ramp. Then, the Highlander really hustles.

Occasionally, I detected inconsistency in power delivery while accelerating. The subtle wavering and hesitation didn’t strike me as a transmission issue, so perhaps it has something to do with the engine’s new D-4S direct and port fuel injection system."

·
Registered
663 Posts
There is a ton of info if you just search for transmission on the forum.

However yes the new 8 speed sucks any added power away. Same can be said for the new camry. The new camry has more power than the 17 model but it's no faster. Same can be said for the highlander.
The transmission likes to shift early and keep rpms under 1500. It makes it feel sluggish as the V6 doesn't have much torque that low in the rpm range. You have to push the throttle pedal halfway to the floor to get it to move quickly. That being said gas mileage is fairly good. We average 22 to 23 I town and 28 to 30 highways depending on conditions.
Overall the 8 speed is good but not great. There have been failures but most all are contained to 2017 models with awd. It can occasionally shift rough but most all the time it's pretty smooth. Overall I'm happy with it. I don't care that it's not faster. I don't race the highlander or my 4 cylinder camry. I'd rather have a little better gas mileage myself.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The review was done in Sep 2016. In March 2017, Toyota has issued a TSB for reprogramming the transmission ECU to improve the shifting. There's a long thread on this. Ultimately you need to test drive it to see if it's OK for you. Pay attention to the way it shifts on turns, slow down then accelerate, highway with slopes.

·
Limited
1,836 Posts
there are at least a dozen threads on this forum regarding the new for '17 8-speed transmission.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Feb 2018 build. We had problems with slow shifts, reluctance to downshift, etc. Got the TSB done and now I find the engine/transmission combo to be pretty solid. Good power, smooth shifts, etc. Even my wife noticed a big difference and she originally thought it was fine before.

I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the combination post-TSB.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,891 Posts
"Eco driving mode turned off".. is this power mode? or is there another setting that can be turned off. I just thought that might be the eco light indicator..I haven't had much to complain about with my 2018 tranny..Like all of them these days you gotta mash the pedal to get moving but that's all thanks to attempts to save gas...

·
Registered
663 Posts
"Eco driving mode turned off".. is this power mode? or is there another setting that can be turned off. I just thought that might be the eco light indicator..I haven't had much to complain about with my 2018 tranny..Like all of them these days you gotta mash the pedal to get moving but that's all thanks to attempts to save gas...
Yeah its just an eco indicator. Power mode just holds gears longer and keeps rpms higher. Best way I've found to drive it it to put it in S8.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,134 Posts
Reactions: 2017Highlander

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You're welcome guys. More people should try this.
Don't get injured patting yourself on the back. :lol: I used "S" mode way back when I owned an '11 HL.

·
Limited
1,836 Posts
Don't get injured patting yourself on the back. :lol: I used "S" mode way back when I owned an '11 HL.
Did your '11 HL shift like dookie in eco mode too? I had a vehicle once that didn't even have an eco mode because it was WAY before eco mode appeared in the USDM. Don't recall you here a year ago telling people to stop whining about these new ATs shifting like poo-poo to pull the level over and go. Glad you made to the party, finally. Stick around and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yeah I knew what to do before I bought the highlander. The 18 Camry I bought first and it's best driven in S8 as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
...But how do you put the vehicle in S8 mode?
When in "D" move the shift lever to the left then push it forward until the indicator in the display shows "S8".

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
...I guess one could use power mode and S mode at the same time?
There's nothing I'm aware of that would prevent you from doing that. My suspicion is that power mode would take precedence since it's the more aggressive of the two modes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts