Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having some intermittent misfire problems with my 94 v6 camry. I have a genisys scan tool(obd-II) that the following information has come from.

i am only getting misfires on cylinders 1 3 5 (the entire bank 1, beside the firewall)

i dont think it is really misfiring, but it has set trouble codes 301,303,305 after 75 miles of driving.

I have tried the following fixes with no avail
switched a coil pack and spark plug from cylinder 1 to cyl. 5
switched the oxygen sensors from front to back
cleaned out the egr
it wont show any misfires on the interstate, only slow cruising around town.
it will show maybe at the most 60 misfires on cyl 3 (fewer on 1 and 5) and then the computer will set the count for all cyl. back to 0 again after about a min. the car doesnt feel like it is misfiring at all. all the plugs look fine, car is in great shape. anybody have any suggestions?

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i know i have the same motor i was asking about the wires that plug into the coil. it might be the igniter of there is alot of carbon/sludge in your intake manifold and it's messing the system up.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
the igniter is on the right side of the engine bay it has a plug on each side and says "igniter" on it should be mounted on the strut tower side

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doesn't it seem odd that its only 1,3,5 to be misfiring? this ignitor should be suppling voltage to all the plugs correct?

·
Registered
443 Posts
starting from Finish to Start.

Plugs: are they within Spec (both Gap and Crud Bildup)
Wire's: Are they with in Spec (Use Oms Meater and check a Manual 25koms is avrage)
Coil Pack: if u have 2 once for each bank, swap them and see if the other bank has the same problum.
andthing ahead of the packs in the system, would result in all of the cilinders misfiring.

thats just my $.10

alot of people make the mistake of jumping around when finding the cause of a problum in a car. always start from where the problum is any move your way to where the cause and afect is coming from.

if your car is pulling to one side, then first start at the tires. then to the brakes, and then the alighment. its that simple, this aplys to electrical system 10 fold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my car doesnt have plug wires, has 6 coil packs, one pack for each cylinder. no plug wires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same Problem Here

mr.b said:
having some intermittent misfire problems with my 94 v6 camry. I have a genisys scan tool(obd-II) that the following information has come from.

i am only getting misfires on cylinders 1 3 5 (the entire bank 1, beside the firewall)

i dont think it is really misfiring, but it has set trouble codes 301,303,305
Same problem here, though with bank 2. I'm getting misfires on cylinders 2, 4, 6 when at idle, otherwise runs smooth as silk.

I've got a mechanic who seems to be playing "guess and replace" at this point - coils have tested out fine and he's seeing a breakdown in the voltage when he scopes those cylinders. Following the ignition chain backwards, now it's a $500 Igniter replacement.

Was there ever any resolution to this problem? (before I spend another thousand dollars in replacement parts that don't work?)

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,043 Posts
Are you actually getting misfires at idle or does the code say misfire? If actual misfire but no code I would first check for a vacuum leak on that bank. If only a code misfire then I would look for mis-code. I've read that early misfires picked up by the computer were a false interpretation of rpm changes. I doubt the ignitor as that is just a switch that is controlled by the ECU that turns voltage off/on to the coil that produces high volatge in coil. It should fail on all cylinders, not just 3. You could PM mr.b on his outcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They're actual misfires w/ rough idle and gas in the exhaust... If the mechanic hadn't spotted an irregularity on the scope I wouldn't have thought the ignition system was a serious suspect because the car runs smootly under load.

Will update on my single bank misfires when the problem is resolved...

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
RedwoodGeorge said:
They're actual misfires w/ rough idle and gas in the exhaust... If the mechanic hadn't spotted an irregularity on the scope I wouldn't have thought the ignition system was a serious suspect because the car runs smootly under load.

Will update on my single bank misfires when the problem is resolved...

if the problem is only at idle and runs fine underload....then check for vacuum leaks

an ignition problem should be consistent under pretty much all load conditions

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any solution found? I have a similar problem. 1994 1MZFE, codes P0300 (multi cyl misfire), P0302 (cyl 2 misfire), P0304 (cyl 4 misfire), P0306 (cyl 6 misfire). Car idles rough, smoothes out above idle but low power. Problem started two days ago.

With separate coils for each cylinder ignition doesn't seem likely, same with fuel delivery. Today will pull plugs on fwd bank & verify ignition and check compression.

I'm guessing low compression on fwd bank. Either head gasket that leaks all fwd bank cyls(?) or somehow fwd bank cams got out of time(?), timing belt replaced 70K ago.

Any guesses what would affect one bank?

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
again, check for vacuum leaks first

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like something is grounding out. Check coil packs and make sure the underside is fully protected. Make sure plug wires are fully snapped onto plugs. And make sure the feed wires to the coil packs are clear of rubbing on anything or no bare spots.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar issue with my car a few months back, I added some actone and within 10-15 miles the problem diappeared and never came back. So I am assuming that it could be a clogged-up/dirty injectors. Try and add some 7 ounces of acetone into a full tank of gas and see what happens. It might solve your problem like it did with me.

·
Registered
'96 Toyota Camry
14 Posts
hey all,
i'm having the exact same problem. It started about a little more than a week ago.
I was having an odd problem last year where my car would mis-fire AFTER being on the highway for at least 15 minutes; this would happen as soon as rpm would be under approx 1800. I spoke with mechanic buddy, told me to get wires, plugs and cap replaced and so i did. Voila, it fixed the problem and the engine light went away.

NOW i'm having the same problem as most of you (idle at low rpm) except that it usually happens if i leave the car sitting around long enough...on the highway i could ease off the gas and i could feel the slightest jerk/misfire....i'm thinkin i'll just get the plugs/wires/caps replaced again but i kinda feel like something is causing these items to go faulty...

(oh i also had misfires in only cyl 3...toyota tech hooked up his $3000+ system to the car to tell me that...lol)

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
E,
Nice work searching, but is yours a V6 / 94 like the rest of the thread? If so, plugs and coils typically fail under load, idling parked and in gear, during accellerating, passing gear and up shifting. . . You imply plug wires. These cars don't have them. 94/95 have 6 coil packs.

Even though you have (?some new coil packs/wires?) that doesn't mean they didn;t go bad. Even new parts fail some times.

best I can say is clear the ECM, and look for misfires. Replace the suspect coil pack/wires. . . OR have it put on a scope where they can look at each ignition coil and see if its leaking (jumping to ground).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts