Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'06 TRD Off-Road DC
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help me choose some fog bulbs and possibly headlight replacement bulbs?

What are the benefits of yellow fogs say over the whites?
What about healights I would like some whites nothing blueish or anything like that.

Thanks for your advice:D
 

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
Joined
·
2,827 Posts
Weaves_Taco said:
Can you guys help me choose some fog bulbs and possibly headlight replacement bulbs?

What are the benefits of yellow fogs say over the whites?
What about healights I would like some whites nothing blueish or anything like that.

Thanks for your advice:D
yellow works great in fog and snow.

Anything with a blue tint to them reduces light output.

I recommend anything with piaa. Extreme White ive seen with the most white out put.

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_17&products_id=429&zenid=39501b7fc7ae7aa069d59c75d1bea91c

I have Piaa gt-x in my truck they work really good even though the fogs looks stock but with way more light output.

You should also search the fourms as well tons of info on light bulbs.
 

·
My Other Truck
Joined
·
4,258 Posts
TrdTacoma84 said:
yellow works great in fog and snow.

Anything with a blue tint to them reduces light output.
Agreed. Yellow light reflects less glare back to your eyes than white light. I also think it is more noticable to other drivers in inclement weather, making your vehicle more likely to be seen.

Blue bulbs are quite possibly the dumbest idea yet (no offense to all you guys who like 'em ;) ). I tried some high $$ blues once and thought I was losing my eyesight on a dark mountain road. Never again.

If you want genuine info on lighting, and no hype or BS, visit www.danielsternlighting.com
 

·
4.0 Smoking
2005 Tacoma
Joined
·
2,827 Posts
Splicer said:
Agreed. Yellow light reflects less glare back to your eyes than white light. I also think it is more noticable to other drivers in inclement weather, making your vehicle more likely to be seen.

Blue bulbs are quite possibly the dumbest idea yet (no offense to all you guys who like 'em ;) ). I tried some high $$ blues once and thought I was losing my eyesight on a dark mountain road. Never again.

If you want genuine info on lighting, and no hype or BS, visit www.danielsternlighting.com

Hhahaha i have the piaa gt-x in my truck but i said ehh ill but some blue ones in there to look cool. The blue turns heads. But they do lose alot of light. :ugh3:
 

·
Registered
'06 TRD Off-Road DC
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5500k

I was thinking something along the lines of the 5500K color temp? Any of you guys got those? How much blue in in there?

I am hoping to do the DTRL and Fog Light Mod along with bulbs all in one shot!

Pretty motivated when its ony 12F outside and the garage floor is pretty cold:ugh3:
 

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
My opinion: 5500 is too blue for halogens. 6000K is a decent color temp for HID's, but you'll lose a lot of light output getting that much color out of a halogen.

If your goal is light output first and foremost, and a clean, whitish blue color beam secondarily, then aim for something around 4300K (give or take). The PIAA star white and mirror whites are good choices.

CHeck out this thread as well for lots of opinions:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t146143.html
 

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
screeber said:
My opinion: 5500 is too blue for halogens. 6000K is a decent color temp for HID's, but you'll lose a lot of light output getting that much color out of a halogen.

If your goal is light output first and foremost, and a clean, whitish blue color beam secondarily, then aim for something around 4300K (give or take). The PIAA star white and mirror whites are good choices.

CHeck out this thread as well for lots of opinions:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t146143.html
6500K is Generally considered in the lighting industry to be "white" anything above that is bluer and anything below that is redder. It doesn't matter what type of light Halogen, HID, Xenon, HMI, as color temperature is measured the same for all of those so I don't know where you're getting 5500K is bluer for a halogen then it is for a HID because thats just not possible. Color Temperature is possibly one of the more difficult things to understand, so a lot of people don't quite get it, you would be supprised how many people I talk to and then I talk to them about Color Temperature all I get is "Oh? Is that how hot the light bulb gets when it's turned on?" I am a Theatrical Lighting Designer, it's my job to know these things and manuipulate them to my advantage.

Please read my post on this subject here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1141635&postcount=23
 

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
Joined
·
2,960 Posts
Blue lights effin suck! You can't see for crap at night at places that aren't pit up at all. And they basically do nothing in the rain. I've got $40 Hella Extreme whites right now, they get the job done, and look beautiful from a distance. I'm soon upgrading to Luminics Titanium Whites and Luminics JDM Yellow for the fogs, that'll be a sick combo!
 

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Sony said:
6500K is Generally considered in the lighting industry to be "white" anything above that is bluer and anything below that is redder. It doesn't matter what type of light Halogen, HID, Xenon, HMI, as color temperature is measured the same for all of those so I don't know where you're getting 5500K is bluer for a halogen then it is for a HID because thats just not possible. Color Temperature is possibly one of the more difficult things to understand, so a lot of people don't quite get it, you would be supprised how many people I talk to and then I talk to them about Color Temperature all I get is "Oh? Is that how hot the light bulb gets when it's turned on?" I am a Theatrical Lighting Designer, it's my job to know these things and manuipulate them to my advantage.

Please read my post on this subject here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1141635&postcount=23
Which is why my post mentions both color temp and light output. I specifically stated that around 4300 is the best place to balance light output and color temp. A halogen bulb is "naturally" around 3000K (give or take), and this is a bit yellow. As you change from that point toward a whiter light, you gradually lose more light output because of the bulb tinting necessary to achieve the color. A 6000K halogen bulb will have less light output than a 4300k bulb - period. 6000K tends to have a blueish/turquoise tint.
I differentiate HIDs from Halogens because HIDs are natually in the 4000K color spectrum - this is thte Xenon "sweet spot." As you grow in color temp from there, you gradually lose light output as well, but since you are already starting with whiter, brighter light with a Xenon bulb, the loss is relatively less.

I agree and understand that 6500K is around the "overcast sky" daylight color point, but since there isn't a (common) bulb that produces light at that color, what you get on the auto bulb market is tinting that reduces light output.

Does that make it more clear?
 

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
screeber said:
Which is why my post mentions both color temp and light output. I specifically stated that around 4300 is the best place to balance light output and color temp. A halogen bulb is "naturally" around 3000K (give or take), and this is a bit yellow. As you change from that point toward a whiter light, you gradually lose more light output because of the bulb tinting necessary to achieve the color. A 6000K halogen bulb will have less light output than a 4300k bulb - period. 6000K tends to have a blueish/turquoise tint.
I differentiate HIDs from Halogens because HIDs are natually in the 4000K color spectrum - this is thte Xenon "sweet spot." As you grow in color temp from there, you gradually lose light output as well, but since you are already starting with whiter, brighter light with a Xenon bulb, the loss is relatively less.

I agree and understand that 6500K is around the "overcast sky" daylight color point, but since there isn't a (common) bulb that produces light at that color, what you get on the auto bulb market is tinting that reduces light output.

Does that make it more clear?
Halogen's (at least the ones we use in theatre) are usually around 4300K naturally but you are right that they do vary anywhere from 3000k all the way up to 5000k depending on the filament type, gas mixture and wattage used. Xenon Arc Lamps (i.e. HID's) can be naturally anywhere from 4300k to 7000k depending of many factors such as arc size, gas mixture and voltage. More voltage will create a hotter arc which in turn will create a higher color temperature. It all depends on a large number of factors but for the most part you are correct. I have 8500K Eurodezign's H4 Lamps in my heads and the matching 9005's in my fogs and they are way brighter then my stock lamps. They are a Xenon and Krypton mix and I couldn't ask for a better color temperature. My point is that not ALL lamps are at the same color temperature without a tint. You can easily get a Halogen Lamp with a color temperature of 5000k, maybe not for a car but they do exist in theatre, TV Studio's and also in many household LCD Projectors.
 

·
nooB nooB noo
06 Taco
Joined
·
545 Posts
If I could only fit a 1000w Metal Halide lamp in my headlamp housings..... it's only about 14" long and 6" in diameter. Damn, I could be a movie star sporting a "Lamp" like that!! LOL
 

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
rofl...man I could get you 750w Tungsten Halogen Lamp that would fit in your headlight housings easily, look up an EHG lamp, Hell...Check out an FEL Lamp...they are about the same size as the EHG and they are 1200w of course they all run at 120v...you would have to get a pretty hefty inverter to run both of those :)

FEL can be found here: http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/1899/oc/JCV120V%2D1200WCH/item.html

EHG can be found here: http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewItem/bcrw/itmid/285/oc/EHG/item.html

Have fun melting your headlamp housings :lol:
 

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
Joined
·
839 Posts
OK so lets talk yellow bulbs for a minute maybe
I`m going to try some in the fogs, pretty happy with the way the white bulbs fill the gap under the high beams on road rips but after seeing the yellow on a members truck I decided they look supercool if they`re not enough light for me I could always run them in spring/summer and switch back to white for winter

so here`s where I`m getting confused..........
I`m sure of what fits even though if you look up our trucks on a light site or read the manual the recommended size is 9145. I pulled the stockers and they were 9005`s and I`m running 9005 silverstars, H10`s are the same as 9005`s this I understand.

The problem I`m having is with the wattage I understand there`s 2 different ratings, one for actual draw and one for percieved output
stock was 45 watts and my silverstars are 65
what I ran into is this
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_15&products_id=352

it states wattage [draw] 70 wattage [output] 70
then look close at the package 9005-80W

it`s not just these bulbs some halos on ebay were the same way, stated 65w draw but the package clearly showed 100w/145w 3000K HID class, the halo site showed 9005`s @ 65 watts

halo, nokya, piaa, leeeshr, hella, luminics................... there`s too many brands!

so who do I believe?
are there different bulbs for say japan or europe and the states?
does HID class mean they`re HID bulbs or just HID comparable
maybe someone can help clear this up for me being I just don`t want to order and then get some 100W bulbs from korea just want a pair of 65 watters in yellow
 

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
Joined
·
839 Posts

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
Joined
·
2,960 Posts
Or go with Luminics....
 

·
My Other Truck
Joined
·
4,258 Posts
JUNGLEMAN said:
after seeing the yellow on a members truck I decided they look supercool if they`re not enough light for me I could always run them in spring/summer and switch back to white for winter
If I were to switch, I would do the opposite -- whites in summer, yellow for the bad weather in winter...

I have yellow Nokya 9145s and no complaints -- I like 'em for heavy weather/poor visibility (they look great too, imo). btw, 9145s are stock, did you or someone swap yours for 9005s?
 

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
Joined
·
839 Posts
Oh yeah forgot about them (luminics)
thanks, added to the list (as if there weren`t enough already :D)

I`ve researched bulbs to death
done with it

I`m going to give these a try and adjust wattage/manufacturer if necessary
I liked the pics of the halos
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Yellow-Xenon-Headlights-bulbs-9003-9005-9006-9007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ006QQitemZ160084912486QQrdZ1
they seem like the deep yellow I`m looking for but as already discussed color vs light output...............trying to find a good compromise
I`d like a deep yellow that also has a good amount of light output
 

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
Joined
·
839 Posts
Splicer said:
If I were to switch, I would do the opposite -- whites in summer, yellow for the bad weather in winter...
I have yellow Nokya 9145s and no complaints -- I like 'em for heavy weather/poor visibility (they look great too, imo). btw, 9145s are stock, did you or someone swap yours for 9005s?
No, I pulled the stockers at the parts store because the `05 was too new at the time to have a listing and I didn`t look in the book and they say 9005 on them so that`s what I got in the silverstars. I didn`t know anything about 9145`s or H10`s until I started looking for yellow bulbs recently.


They really put out enough light for snow/fog? Let me think.......9145 = 45 watts right?
I guess I`ll "see" for myself soon

The only reason I mentioned the other way is I do a lot of snowy stormy mountain driving w/all the lights on (kc`s-high beams-fogs) and love the way the upgraded bulbs in the fogs fill the lower end.
 

·
My Other Truck
Joined
·
4,258 Posts
JUNGLEMAN said:
They really put out enough light for snow/fog? Let me think.......9145 = 45 watts right?

The only reason I mentioned the other way is I do a lot of snowy stormy mountain driving w/all the lights on (kc`s-high beams-fogs) and love the way the upgraded bulbs in the fogs fill the lower end.
Yes, they are 45 watts, and work pretty well. Thing is, in fog or snow, you really can't run high beams (or anything like it) without being blinded by the glare of your own lights reflecting back off the white stuff in the air. That's why true fog lamps have a low, wide, short beam pattern with a sharp horizontal cutoff -- to put light on the road (including off to the sides) with minimal reflection back to the driver.
 

·
MODIFICATIONS MUST B MADE
05 TACOMA
Joined
·
839 Posts
You`re right it`s low beams + fogs when it`s nasty, a lot of times the fog lines are iced or snowed over so it`s nice to use the fogs to see the edge of the road.

the truck I saw has the H10`S and I believe they`re 45 watts also
those 70/80 or whatever watt the 9005`s I just ordered end up being should do the trick nicely just don`t want to go too much over the stock wattage for reasons I`m sure you understand

thanks for the feedback glad they work well for you
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top