Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know a lot of people on here dont agree with buying extended warranties. Truthfully I used to feel that way also until I started selling used cars and of course you sell warranties with them hopefully.

Well I did buy one on my 94 Camry when I got it. My Cmary had about 65K miles on it when I got it. Ipaid about 700.00 for my warranty. I took my car in the other day to have some stuff looked at. It had the infamous rear strut mount noise, an oil leak and the drivers door handle was broken. SO anyway I get a call back jsut a few minutes ago from teh guy and he tells me I need the strut mounts, a power steering pump, a power steering rack and pinion and of course the door handle. If I had to pay out of pocekt it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of about 1400.00 to get it all done at this shop. Yeah I could shop around or even do it myself. Well I ask him if they are going to cover it, he saisy yeah and it will cost you 110.00. 50 of that is for the deductible and the rest is for the alignment which the warranty company will not pay for.

On top of taht I have already had water pump and all seals replaced, at the same tiem Ihad them replace the belt. that cost me about 80 bucks. It would have been around 400 or so I think unless I did it myself. I have also had an axle replaced and a couple of other minor things. All told I have spent about 150.00 out of pocket to have the actual repairs done. Then I have paid about an additional 100 for the timing belt and the alignment to be done.

The work that has been done would have cost me somewhere in teh neighborhood of about 2000.00 dollars. It ahas cost me the price of the warranty and the deductibles.

Also I am still covered for about another 16k miles so if I have any problems inthe future I can get them taken care of also.

I say all of this to say. If you are on a budget and do not like getting hit with the high costs of repairs that you can not do yourself then yes the warranties are a good deal. Even if I would ahve kept the money taht I spent onthe warranty I would be in the hole another 1000.00 dollars or more and that is money that I woudl much rather keep to myself.

Jsut my.02 worth.

·
TN Pussy Man
13,302 Posts
for a used car, for sure :thumbup:

but damn...somebody must have been beating on that car before you got it.....the biggest problem that my 94 has had so far is a torn cv boot, and a loose tie bar....and also currently a slightly leaking power steering pump that has stopped leaking

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I dont worry about the timing belt and water pump. The car was 11 years old when I bought it and it was all original. I had it all changed when it was at about 75K miles or so. The axle was a really jsut a busted boot but since the warranty company would pay for the entire axle it jsut made sense to do it that way. As for hte power steering pump it seems to be a fairly common occurence with the Camry's. I can rememebr when I was working for Toyota it seemed like I saw quite a few of them that were leaking. They had about the same mileage but not nearly as old.

As for it being beaten up by the previous owner, well they sure didnt baby it but it was not nearly as bad as it could have been. THey had regualr service records for it in the glove box and all taht so they tried I believe.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would probably not buy one on a new car. Well I ahvent bought one on a new car anyway. We bought a 97 Corolla from the dealer I used to be amechanic at. THey tried to sell me one and I said no. However on used I will probably buy them again if I buy from ad dealer. If you buy from an individual it makes it a little bit harder unless you buy one from all of the online companies. I have heard horror stories about atht though. I actually had a girl buy an Audi from me when I was selling. Originally she said she wanted the warranty. Then her b/F talked her out of and said she could get the same thing online for less money. SO we cancelled the warranty and she bought the car. About three months later all hell broke loose with the car and her company would not honor their warranty. Luckily whenwe sold the car we gave a 90 day limited warranty and it was within that time fram by about 3 days.

·
Banned
994 Posts
My g/f had an aftermarket warranty on her 97 Sunfire SE coupe she had. I think it was $1100 for 3/36,000. Good thing she had it. I think we dumped about $3500-4500 into the car. Pile of junk. Deductable was $50 :eek:hyeah:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to buy an extended warranty and maintenance plan for y new Highlander Hybrid 2019, Can someone pls help me with references of where to buy it from for the best price? I am based off of eastern North Carolina if that matters. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts