Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone's had any luck negotiating extended warranty pricing in Canada? And if the warranty can be purchased anytime up until the standard warranty expires? According to the Toyota website, some of the features of the warranty are only available if the extended warranty is purchased in the first 30 days (the oil changes, in particular), but since I get "free lifetime oil changes" anyway as part of my dealer incentives, that doesn't matter to me.

Clint

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just wondering if anyone's had any luck negotiating extended warranty pricing in Canada? And if the warranty can be purchased anytime up until the standard warranty expires? According to the Toyota website, some of the features of the warranty are only available if the extended warranty is purchased in the first 30 days (the oil changes, in particular), but since I get "free lifetime oil changes" anyway as part of my dealer incentives, that doesn't matter to me.

Clint
I asked this question when they were trying to sell me the "refundable" extended warranty and the answer was yes but it would not be refundable. I think it's standard practice amongst dealerships to offer extended warranties up until the standard warranty expires. At least I know with my VW's it was available.

IIRC, the "extras" that would not be included if you purchased later were the oil changes (as noted), tire rotation, and additional roadside assistance.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Clint I don't think we can get any break in extended warranties here in Canada. When I bought my last HL I checked with different dealers and all they offered me couple of hundred dollars discount. I am not interested in extended warranty as I personally think it's just a way of making money by the dealers default warranty of 60K or 3 years and 100K and 5 years on transmission is more than enough.If there is something in manufacturing defect it will show within this period and if everything okay with in factory default warranty period then no need to worry. After all we are buying Toyota .

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, NCR. That's something to consider, although I don't think the "refundable" option would be an issue if I was near the end of my warranty anyway. According to the Toyota website, the only thing that's NOT included if you don't purchase within 30 days is the oil changes. None of the other benefits make a note of the 30 day requirement. Although the lowest window (48 months) do have an asterisk noting that they're only available for purchase in the first 30 days.

Did you have any luck negotiating?

Clint

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Clint I don't think we can get any break in extended warranties here in Canada. When I bought my last HL I checked with different dealers and all they offered me couple of hundred dollars discount. I am not interested in extended warranty as I personally think it's just a way of making money by the dealers default warranty of 60K or 3 years and 100K and 5 years on transmission is more than enough.If there is something in manufacturing defect it will show within this period and if everything okay with in factory default warranty period then no need to worry. After all we are buying Toyota .
I get what you're saying, but there's enough "magic parts" that can fail over time that I'd consider getting a longer warranty. As vehicles get more and more complicated, it makes me more nervous about not having a warranty as the vehicle ages. Doesn't help that my GF's Hyundai Veracruz just got hit with a $3500 repair bill, about 3 months after her factory warranty was up... But I'll likely go naked....

I guess I like the option of adding the warranty as the factory warranty expires, because there might be enough "history" by then to judge whether it's needed or not. Plus, since I'm not paying cash, it means that I won't have been paying interest on it for the time that I'm not actually using it.

Clint

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks, NCR. That's something to consider, although I don't think the "refundable" option would be an issue if I was near the end of my warranty anyway. According to the Toyota website, the only thing that's NOT included if you don't purchase within 30 days is the oil changes. None of the other benefits make a note of the 30 day requirement. Although the lowest window (48 months) do have an asterisk noting that they're only available for purchase in the first 30 days.

Did you have any luck negotiating?

Clint
I didn't negotiate. I'm going to decline and wait it out for the next 3 years to see how the car runs. I don't have to bring back the official paper declining the warranty until I pick up the car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I drove Toyota brand through out my car owning history. I don't think it can be compared with any other Korean brand. Any Japanese brand cars are known for reliability.I am not considering any extended warranty for my car.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been driving a Toyota since 1997. Leased a brand new Corolla the day after I graduated from college, as our 1985 Pontiac Acadian died in the middle of the intersection, and that was the straw that broke the camel's (aka ex-wife's) back. :) Since then, I've had the Corolla, a 1998 Sienna minivan (that made it over 300,000k before we finally ditched it), a 2007 Camry, my 2012 RAV4... The only vehicle that an extended warranty helped was the Camry, as it needed ignition coils replaced after the factory warranty was up. As it turned out, I bought the car used, and the extended warranty documents were in the glove box, so it was covered. Saved $600, if I recall correctly. :)

The other vehicles have been trouble-free. Well, the RAV feels like a rattle-trap, but I'm not sure if that's because it's a "cheap" vehicle, or if it's because I had to have the interior ripped out to have paintless dent repair done after a hailstorm, and it never got put back together quite right... But no major repairs on any of my Toyota's. Better than I can say about my Jeep Comanche (pretty solid, and I could work on it myself), and Chrysler 300M (blown head gasket just weeks after I bought it used), etc...

Clint

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here you go, now you can decide if you really want extended warranty?.Your Camry had extended warranty with it when you bought it as used one. you only utilised $600 part of warranty for which some one might have paid may be two or three times of repair cost.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here you go, now you can decide if you really want extended warranty?.Your Camry had extended warranty with it when you bought it as used one. you only utilised $600 part of warranty for which some one might have paid may be two or three times of repair cost.
That's definitely a consideration... But the Highlander has a lot more technology (NAV, power rear hatch, sensors hanging off every corner), and not none of that stuff is cheap. Of course, most of it's not really critical either... The motor and transmission is covered for long enough...

Clint

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah true , But I think me and you are getting XLE which will have bit less sensors I think, Yes there were issues with power rear hitch for 2nd gen and I had 2011 HL and drove it for around 40K before I sold it but never had an issue with it but after reading here I was afraid of opening rear hitch and every time I used to think something may happen to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.