Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are on the extended warranty on a new Taco. I just bought my '08 and I did not get an extended warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wait till you're getting close to the end of your base warranty and decide then. If you need to use your base warranty much it will make the decision easier. Also, refer to the thread here about getting a good deal. I had the dealer try to sell me the extended warranty for something $1400 which was supposedly his cost. There's some guy named Troy that will sell the extended warranty for eight hundred and something.

·
Georgia
1,202 Posts
You can get anytime before the 3/36K runs out. Search for "Troy" here on TN. His warranty prices will beat any dealer's.
I have platinum warranty on my 2005, with it being the first model-year.
See how your new truck fares, decide at 2.5 years/30K

·
Premium Member
11 Tacoma DC TRD OR
1,892 Posts
I went with an extended warenty. 36k-60k, only because I would have been an idiot not too, an extra $7 a month on my payment, yes $7. After 5 years thats only $420, not sure if thats just a local deal but I hadn't ever heard of anything that cheap. I know I will probably never need it, but I couldn't pass it up.

Jared

·
Registered
tacoma
485 Posts
I went with an extended warenty. 36k-60k, only because I would have been an idiot not too, an extra $7 a month on my payment, yes $7. After 5 years thats only $420, not sure if thats just a local deal but I hadn't ever heard of anything that cheap. I know I will probably never need it, but I couldn't pass it up
like he said i got it for "sleep insurance"and should have nothing to worry about

i am a bit older and this is my last truck ever and things like loner car and towing got my attention.
but it is your call and you have to decide what is best for you and you have 3 years or 36K to make up your mind !

·
2012/14 Stanley Cup Champ
1,883 Posts
Huge money maker for the dealer...complete waste of money for the owner!! Never purchased one on anything..never needed one on anything! JMO
+1^^^^

I've actually had finance people get pissed off at me for not buying one. The last guy that did it ended up getting fired for trying to push it on me too hard.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i can't speak to toyota specifically and I'm skeptical of them in general ... but have had them on other vehicles (european) and 4 out of 6 have paid off for me: the last one cost me $2,400 and I recovered more than $7,500 in repair costs.

we got one on our Taco because we bought it used w/ 34k and we got it for only $600 for 4 yrs. and 40k miles of coverage on a truck that'll go about 6k a year. At that price it seemed like a wise bet.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
I'll only get one if it's a good deal. It's a gamble. You may never need it, or it may come in real handy if you have an engine or transmission problem.

I recently bought an extended warranty from Troy because I plan to add a TRD supercharger sometime this year, and the chance of engine failure goes up a lot when you add stuff like that.

Here's the deal from Troy. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209848

·
Registered
193 Posts
how good can you negotiate... i jumped up to 72k for "free"... i stood fast with the price i wanted to pay for mine- and found that in a different market, the truck was 800 bucks cheaper... i brought this up, said why not the same price- they printed line by line items (they'll blame it on the destination charge, etc...)- numbers were the same- but they "couldn't go any lower"- but were eventually willing to make good by "giving" the warranty to me. '08 DC TRD sport 4x4, every option under the sun for 28500 plus tax. bought it in MD- chicago's market is a cheaper market... was playing dealer to dealer as well- finally got the one to go under 29k- and then brought up chicago...

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
I didn't buy one on this truck either. I'm torn..... and will probably wait till closer to the 3/36 is up. I've only had this truck for about a year now. I'll see how it goes....and keep researching here and see what types of problems peeps are having.

The only time I purchased an extended warrantee on a new vehicle - was my last vehicle. 2004 Dodge Ram that I owned. I didn't own it long enough to complete the original factory warrantee.....but for the time I owned it, it had a few things fixed under warrantee. Also, a few other things that didn't need to be fixed because they couldn't find a problem till after about 6 trips to the dealer. Dodge's have a reputation for blowing transmissions at around 60K miles. Amoung other 'un-reliable' rumors....I thought it was best to get the extended warrantee.

I just hope Toyota reliability is just as good as it's always been. Sometimes I wonder....simply from things I read on various forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Warrantee

I just bought a 2008 (2 days ago) in the US. The option that was given to me from my dealer was this one. I buy the extended warrantee (6yr 75,000 mi) for $1800, If I dont use it they give me the $1800 back in cash. I have a 2002 Toyota Van that has 100,000 mi on it and I didnt have any problems with it. I am expecting the same with this quality made vehicle, but its there if I need it. I think its a win/win. Yeah I heard of the deal Troy is giving ($800) and considered it, but honestly I dont do a lot of off roading and I change my oil every 3000 miles, and I think it will last for 12-16 yrs

·
Georgia
1,202 Posts
If I dont use it they give me the $1800 back in cash.
Check the fine print, I would be very surprised if the refund is not prorated based on when you cancel the coverage, and you need to call to cancel it BEFORE the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,495 Posts
Check the fine print, I would be very surprised if the refund is not prorated based on when you cancel the coverage, and you need to call to cancel it BEFORE the warranty expires.
Yes, they are pro-rated. Atleast.....my Dodge Ram extended warrantee was.

I bought the extended warrantee (on the dodge) when I first bought the truck (on day 1). I sold the truck before the factory 3/36 warrantee was finished. I applied for a refund of the extended warrantee...and it was prorated back to the day I bought it (regardless of the factory warrantee).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Went over it with a fine toothed comb and had the dealer principal sign it. This is not avail in all areas (Western Washington)
I actually have to wait until the expire date, and then they cut me the cheque. I have bought extended warantees like this before (plasma tv) but with them if you dont use the warantee you have 1 month (after it expires) to apply for a refund (usually store credit)
But as discussed with the dealership its a cheque, and there is no time limit in cashing it in

·
Drive it like you stoleit
06 x-runnr
111 Posts
Yea i would be skeptical of them saying they give you your money back if you don't use it under warranty. I had a similar issue where i bought extended warranty on my lcd tv and i later find out its 90 % of what i paid for a store credit.
I think we all have bought quality products and thus no need for extended warranty, thats why you bought a yota. My family has gone through 5 yota's and 2 tacos in the last 10 years and has yet to change any major parts other than tires and clutches. both trucks had over 350 kms and the one was 4x4. If you drive it like you stole it, contemplate extended warranty, if you look after your vehicle i think ext warranty is a dealers wet dream. If i bought a ford or dodge i'd want CAA for life.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
I have a question on the warranty.

If I get one through Troy, when does Toyota consider the start date of the extended warranty? If you read up on it on the TFS site it makes it seem like the extended warranty is only good from the date of purchase of the vehicle and not the warranty. What's the point of paying 900 bucks for a warranty that is 7 years/100k long when 3 of them are already used up if it starts from the day you bought the vehicle?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.