Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read every single thread that the search engine comes up with regarding the extended warranty. Yes, some of them ask the same question, and i'll probably get a little flamed...but thats okay! I just wanted some more up-to-date info on who's buying them and who's not.

I really just wanted to get an idea of how worth it is to get the extra warranty for the Camry. Normally, b/c its a Toy i'd say "nahh...don't need a warranty...Joe Blow has 334523455 miles on his and no problem." But, since its a new car, new tranny (and all the problems thus far), its made me wonder if its worth it.

By the way we have an 07 SE V6. Wife drives it, at least 80% will be highway miles (she commutes). So we'll put miles on it in a hurry. So i was interested in the 6/100/0 plan. Troy quoted me $790...midwestsuperstore quoted me $740.

So, basically I just wanted some more opinions (now that the tranny issues are really out there) on whether $740 is worth the extra 3 years / 64k miles.

By the way, I LOVED the expression on the F&I guy's face yesterday when I told him I what I was quoted. He made comments such as, "What? How can they do that? Thats below what it costs me!" "That makes me look like a crook!" "I'm going to call Toyota to see whats going on" etc.

Anyhow, all replies are appreciated...and be kind to a newbie. :clap:

·
'07 Camry SE V6 Silver
50 Posts
Hey there....no extended warranty for me...I'm going on the fact that I owned a new 1982 Corolla and drove it for 11 years without 1 single problem...other than brakes, tires and tuneups, no work was ever done on the engine or body....I expect the same with my new Camry.
good luck with yours

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Read all the Gen 5 and previous forums about problems and decide for yourself.

It is just an insurance policy.

Pay me now and maybe avoid paying me in the future.

Roll the dice..............

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
JeffG02 said:
So, basically I just wanted some more opinions (now that the tranny issues are really out there) on whether $740 is worth the extra 3 years / 64k miles.
Check your warranty paperwork and you should find that the car is warranted bumper to bumper for 3 years or 36k miles, but also the drive train is warranted for 5 years or 60k miles. Unless they should change the rules for some reason, you can wait to buy that warranty until you get close to that 3/36 mark.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I understand its bumper to bumper til 36k or 3 years. Yeah I knew I could buy it at 36k, but then the price would be more than it is now. So I thought, if I were to buy one...it'd have to be soon to get the best price.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
Double check the pricing. Since it doesn't kick in untl your original expires, it really shouldn't cost more unless they calculate they have the use of your money for a couple of years. Beyond that it is not transferable to a new owner if I recall, and you can also get a portion refunded if you sell or total it, but that is a hastle. I'm your same boat and I don't plan on looking at an extended warranty until I am closer to three years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I purchase the car my insurance agent Geico mentioned that they offer warranty on the car. 15 years / 150,000 miles they qouted 17 dollars for 6 months with 250 deductable, seems to be alot cheaper than Toyota warranty.

Something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I purchase the car my insurance agent Geico mentioned that they offer warranty on the car. 15 years / 150,000 miles they qouted 17 dollars for 6 months with 250 deductable, seems to be alot cheaper than Toyota warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry I've got my fact wrong. The policy is called mechanical break down

7 years/100,000 miles

you can applied for it before 15,000 or 15 months.

·
Registered
287 Posts
gdanaher said:
Double check the pricing. Since it doesn't kick in untl your original expires, it really shouldn't cost more unless they calculate they have the use of your money for a couple of years. Beyond that it is not transferable to a new owner if I recall, and you can also get a portion refunded if you sell or total it, but that is a hastle. I'm your same boat and I don't plan on looking at an extended warranty until I am closer to three years.
It is transferable to the new owner and pro-rated by mileage if you cancel early. I bought the original one for 1500 from my dealer and then refunded it for the same 7/100 0 dect. from Troy at Greenfield.

I figure being first year car... between 36k and 100k I'll probably get most of my $770 back, but if I get a bad one (car) then it pays for itself. If I was gambling the $1500, my orig. price, prob. not. With the labor rate close to $100 bucks an hour (at the dealer) and a few parts here or there... that $770 number could be reached in no time.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
287 Posts
ArtA said:

I thought of the Geico one too.. but it didn't work out any better. Their just playing with the numbers.

Say you have 3 claims between 36k-100k (comparing with the Toyota one), then you'll be paying the following:

Approx. 3-4 years payment 34 x 3 yrs = $102
250 deductable x 3 claims = $750
Total = $852

IMO it's pretty much the same pricewise and could get worse if there are more claims... but buying the factory Toyota Extended is the plus in my eyes. Wait til you have to fight with Geico to get things covered under their MBI, I'd rather fight with Toyota the worse of the 2 evils! lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
By the way we have an 07 SE V6. Wife drives it, at least 80% will be highway miles (she commutes). So we'll put miles on it in a hurry. So i was interested in the 6/100/0 plan. Troy quoted me $790...midwestsuperstore quoted me $740.[/quote]

is this for the new camry? i only knew of the warranty at the dealer:disappoin and what is the midwestsuperstore? sorry for the ignorance but like i said the only one i knew of is at my dealer for $1875.00:thumbdown

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
lalojamesliz said:
By the way we have an 07 SE V6. Wife drives it, at least 80% will be highway miles (she commutes). So we'll put miles on it in a hurry. So i was interested in the 6/100/0 plan. Troy quoted me $790...midwestsuperstore quoted me $740.

is this for the new camry? i only knew of the warranty at the dealer:disappoin and what is the midwestsuperstore? sorry for the ignorance but like i said the only one i knew of is at my dealer for $1875.00:thumbdown[/quote]

All the dealers can sell the National Toyota extended service contract that is good nationwide. They can price it anywhere they want it, just like the cars, parts and service.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
lalojamesliz said:
but what is that midwestsuperstore mentioned?
Like a new car dealer - Toyota being one brand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you got here, you might be able to get to their website.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts